DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Drive through Switzerland -- need to pay for a sticker?

Posted by antibesroom - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by belamica-188434 - 4 years ago

df_france, you are right!  When you think of what FR highways cost, then CH isn't so expensive (even tho' prices are due to go up next year, I think).  Of course, if you don't use the highways, that's free. Better pay at the border than get stopped by the cops and pay MUCH MORE in fines.  And most importantly, don't speed, it gets VERY expensive!

Sorry no image available
Posted by df_france - 4 years ago

You are taking a big risk to drive on Swiss motorways without a 'sticket' (Vignette).  And don't forget the speed limits ... cameras are everywhere.

Also, same for Austria ... make sure to get your Vignette even if only driving the short distance to Germany.  The Austrians really control, and fines are on the spot.  

Drive on the roads, pay the tax. It's only fair.  This is why the fuel prices are cheaper.

Sorry no image available
Posted by madjen - 4 years ago

Hello - from Nice, we have driven  up to Zermatt area several times through Simplon Pass. Stopped at at Swiss  border a couple of times for  passport control. Never bought a sticker. Had no problems. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by belamica-188434 - 4 years ago

You can also buy a sticker AT the border, no problem at all, same price, we do it every year when we go back to visit friends/family.

Fill your tank in CH, it's certainly cheaper than in IT!!  And possibly better quality too.

Sorry no image available
Posted by IJ - 4 years ago

Yes you definitely need one. Best advice is to buy one from a petrol station in Italy before the border, it is exactly the same price, it is worth filling up as well as have always found petrol to be more expensive in Switzerland.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jpicukaric - 4 years ago

You MUST buy a sticker BEFORE going to the border crossing.  It is not well marked, so stop at the local shop before the border to buy your sticker.  If caught without one, you will pay a heavy fine.

Sorry no image available
Posted by eurokiné-187861 - 4 years ago

Definately a necessity if you are using the swiss motorway network

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 4 years ago

I thought it was just for motorways? but could be wrong.

A couple of months back I drove from the Italian border to Geneva airport and back in a car (not mine) with an expired sticker, I didn't realise until I got back and someone pointed it out! and judging by other people's reactions I think perhaps I was lucky to get away with it.