DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Driver's license help!!

Posted by gofrance - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Hello. Maybe there is nothing that can be done, but I know so many of you have endless experience with such things... and figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

My hubbie and I went to exchange our licenses, as one is about to expire Friday. Stupid that we didn't notice that before leaving home and just take care of it then, but those things are valid for so many years you just forget about them.

Anyway, we compiled all our paperwork, got translations, etc. and took the trek to the prefecture yesterday... only to learn that we can't. We applied for a titres des sejours a bit ago, but I just got my doc's appt. and my husband still hasn't even gotten his. He said the little temp card we got won't do it, that we need an actual carte de sejour to do the license switch. So... we are stuck in limbo. A license will expire Friday, and I know we won't get a carte de sejour before that.

Anyway, I know I am rambling, but does anyone know ANY solution that does not involve driving school and getting a French license the unpleasant way???? Any tips or advice?

Thanks. As always, help is much appreciated.

Kelby

Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by gofrance - 14 years ago

Hello. I just wanted to thank everyone for the help. My husband is getting his license renewed in Virginia.

For future reference, I thought I would mention how we resolved this issue. This will probably only be directly helpful for Virginia residents, but someone might to a forum search one day.

We didn't figure anything out on fixing the problem on the France end. I had already e-mailed Virginia's DMV when I posted this message, and they said a personal appearance was the only way to renew. I did some research on Virginia code (I used to be a cops and courts reporter, so I'm familiar with doing legal research). Anyway, I learned that:

-The licenses of military members in active duty abroad cannot expire while overseas, to a maximum of 5 years.

-Virginia has a new law enacted Jan. 1 2004 that is NOT flexible. If you allow your license to expire, you MUST make a personal appearance. So do take care of this before it expires.

-Virginia can waive the written exam requirement and personal appearance ONLY if you have no more than one moving violation in the five years before the EXPIRATION DATE. This was the problem for our situation. They instead calculated the five years based on when he last renewed. Of course, most people renew early. So be sure to check this out. You can view your DMV Va. driving record online to see.

I am hoping that will help anyone who is from Virginia to avoid possible pitfalls.

If anyone wants further advice on breaking through the Va. DMV bureaucracy, feel free to e-mail me.

Cheers! Thanks again, everyone.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dukeboy - 14 years ago

Good thinking 99. Jeez I hate losing things!

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

If you were to mislay your licence for some reason, and went to the local police station to report it lost, you can use the copy of the declaration in lieu of a licence for 2 months while you apply for a new one.

Of course, if the licence turns up again within the 2 months, all is well and good.

This doesnt apply in your case of course, because you havent lost it...

Tony

Sorry no image available

OK, bummer. What about, I know it's a hassle, but heading back to the Sous Prefecture/Prefecture and asking them about stamping the form or verifying that your licence is/was valid ast the time you made the first request. In this case, you maybe able to get something signed that says at least when you first applied your licence was valid, it's just that you are waiting on the Carte de Sejour.Have you as yet applied for the CdS? If not send me a mail, I might know someone you could speed things up.Cheers,Earl

Sorry no image available

Oh, and thank you for the calming words!! Hehehh... It was funny... I think I'm starting to get into the swing of things here. When we went, it was of course the typical annoyance of getting out there, the waste of a day, and so on. When he said we couldn't get it, I really wasn't even that bothered. My first thought was, "I'm sure there's a way around THAT!" Heheheh.

Sorry no image available

Hello. Yes, the problem is that every few times you renew in Virginia, they require an in-person written test. Very annoying, but it's a bit hard to do the in-person thing. I e-mailed them this morning to see if there is any way around it, such as doing the test online or by proxy, or perhaps even just extending the current license by 3 or 6 months in the hopes that the cdj comes through before the new one expires. Sigh...

Sorry no image available

Hi goFrance, why don't you renew your US licences, and then convert to a French one then. You should be able to find info on how to do this on the net. Take a good quality photocopy of your current license, cause I assume when you renew it, that you'll have to send it. That should be enough to cover you in the meantime.Don't Panic, you'll sort it out!

Sorry no image available

Nope, but we hold licenses from a state with an exchange agreement (Virginia).

Sorry no image available
Posted by NuttR - 14 years ago

Question: Do you currently hold a European license..?