DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Driving Back to UK In need of a nice route home

Posted by Aidan-181979 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by StephanieC-185633 - 15 years ago

Thats great thanks alot MikePbye

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

Nice - A8 - Montpellier - Carcassonne - N113 - Toulouse - Montauban - Cahors - Brive - (Motorway) - Limoges - Poitiers - Tours - Chartres - (alternatively via Chateauroux - Orleans) - Rouen - Dieppe.

The part from the South up to Brive is particularly attractive.  I'd recommend at least one night stop.

Email me for further details if you wish. 

Just check that the ferries still run between Dieppe and Newhaven.  There was talk of stopping the service. Depending on where you are headed for in the UK Le Havre - Portsmouth or even one of the more westerly routes colud be better, otherwise you have to do the run up through Northen France to Boulogne or Calais which is pretty bleak but good roads.

Bonne route!

Sorry no image available
Posted by StephanieC-185633 - 15 years ago

MikePI am very interested in you alternative route can you please elaborate, as on the 16th of this month I have to take the dreaded journey and some pleasant countryside would definately break the bore.bye

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

There's a lovely route a bit further west,  but it doesn't work out much further.  You head for Toulouse, Cahors, Souillac, Chateauroux, Limoges, Dieppe for Newhaven.  I can't remember the names of the places in the correct order,  but it is a lovely route going through beautiful countryside,  on excellent non-motorway roads, very little traffic, pretty little villages.  It's more or less an 'as the crow flies' route.

There is one short stretch of motorway. 

If you are interested, let me know, I'll look up the route for you.