Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


exchanging an australian drivers license

Posted by peaches13 - Created: 7 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by lovebug-289422 - 7 years ago

Are you enrolled in CPAM? Do you have carte vitale?
We had a similar situation (OH has dual nationality NZ/UK, with an Aussie license). I can tell you that the prefecture were completely flummoxed as to what to do, and ultimately accepted the date that my OH enrolled for the CPAM/carte vitale as his 'official' entry as a french resident. And even that was after an anguishingly long wait while they all huddled in another room to discuss it.
Good luck!

Sorry no image available
Posted by peaches13 - 7 years ago

well to throw another spanner into the mix i actually have just got my british passport. so i have both australian and british passports but an aussie drivers license. i went to our local marie recently to 'announce' myself a resident and they said that by paying my taxes here, i dont have to do anything else...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Crossfamily-289915 - 7 years ago

I have just done my Australian licence and it is taken from the date of your first issue of your long stay visa. As I am aware you also void your car insurance if you had a accident and also can be fined. I dont know anyone this has actually happened to thou.

The only thing that I didnt see on your list which was on mine was a copy of your Carte de Jour or similar.

Hope this helps.

Sorry no image available
Posted by peaches13 - 7 years ago

how do they determine how long i have been here for? i bought a house over 2 years ago, but i work on a yacht and did not live here. i still work away on the boats but want to get everything sorted out over here for a long term riviera life.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sandii-292251 - 7 years ago

As long as you have been here less than 12 months.

Sorry no image available
Posted by peaches13 - 7 years ago

ok, thank you for your input.

Sorry no image available
Posted by little viking - 7 years ago

my husband did it last year, as long as you have all on the list (which it seems you do)
just go to the sous prefecture (no need to go to the prefecture with the long waiting)
deliver in and you get your french one in the mail 4-6 weeks later, they give you a temporary one when you turn in your australian one