DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Exchanging Foreign License, Need Medical Exam?

Posted by GV-191084 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

An "International Driving Licence" as no legal standing whatsoever. It is simply a multilingual document that says that you do, indeed, have a driving licence from the issuing country. It does not confer on you thie right to drive.

If your US license expires you need to get a new "real" licence (French or US). If you stay in France for over 12 months your US license becomes invalid and you can't drive legaly unless you get a French licence. If, before the 12 months is up you exchange your license for a French licence (assuming you come from one of the States which has an agreement with the French) then you can get a French licence without having to take the French driving test.

Full details can be found here.

Oh - it's the Préfecture where you go for the form...

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by Michelle Morrisey - 14 years ago

Gregg

Just curious as to how it went and where you got the form to transfer from states lic to French?  Mine will expire in march and I was thinking about getting an international lic, hadn't thought a french one would be easy to get. Let me know if  you have the time.

Thanks

Michelle (michmorrisey@yahoo.com)

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

You definitely need an official translation done by a court translator (some are listed here in The AngloFILE, although not all the translators listed are court translators...).

You shouldn't need a medical examination for a straight licence/license exchange.

Mike