DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

French immatriculation

Posted by nessa-180460 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Steve R-187639 - 14 years ago

Cheers, Mike.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

quote:Is the 'log book' the same thing as a 'full service history'?

Nope. "Log book" is Ye Olde Englishe for "vehicle registration document", dating from the days when said document (in the UK) was actually a book that, well, logged the ownership history of a vehicle.

The French version of the document is the carte grise. It's the official bit of paper that says who owns the car, and contains details (such as chassis number) of the vehicle..

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kirri - 14 years ago

I have had my car registered now and they are not interested in the service history. They want the old registration papers and the conformity certification. It is actually very easy nowadays if the car is from EU and is more than 6 months and less than 4 years old.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Steve R-187639 - 14 years ago

Reading that last post has made me think...

I bought my car last year from a french concessionaire who were selling the car on behalf of a private italian individual. They stressed that they were doing it on behalf of a valued customer and that it was not 'their' car. This is maybe where my problems start...

I never received any form of log book or 'service history' with the car as the previous owner couldn't/wouldn't provide it.

The concessionaire registered the car on french plates for me and everything seems to be 'by the book'.

Will I encounter problems when I want to sell the car as I won't be able to provide any form of service history prior to my owning the vehicle?

Is the 'log book' the same thing as a 'full service history'?

Thanks for any information provided.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sheila bardon - 14 years ago

Vat is not payable on a second hand car bought privately, your local hotel des impots (the same branch as deals with your tax return) are used to this concept. You have to go there with your  proof of residency, passport, original log book, mileage figure and receipt. Providing your car is over a certain age (and I think mileage but don't quote me on that) you will be given a form stating that you are not liable for import tax on the vehicle. If you don't fall into this catagory they will tell you what tax you have to pay BEFORE you can have the aforementioned form! This form has to be presented with all your other documents at the prefecture, otherwise you will be sent away with a flea in your ear.

sheila

Sorry no image available

OK, thanks. But what if You buy it from a private person?

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

The "VAT receipt" is the receipt from the vendor showing how much you paid, how much of that was VAT, and the vendor's EU-standard VAT number.**************
Mike

Sorry no image available

What is a VAT receipt? I mean if I buy a car in e.g. Germany i get a receipt (that probably staes I paid VAT), but how do I get a VAT receipt? Would be great if somebody could answer to this!

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 15 years ago

errm - what exactly do you want  to "get round" ?  You either want to register your car here or you don't.  If you want to "get round" the costs of doing it - then just don't do it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ian Manzie - 15 years ago

The answer could depend on the age and if rh or lh drive -as the lights will need altering

The cost I have identified (approx) for an older ford are

Change of lights (by Ford dealer) €175

Attestation from Ford €105

Controle Technigue (car over 4 years) €30 plus

Carge at the prefecture based on the 'pusiance administrative / fiscaux cheval' ( about €28 per fiscaux cheval)

I would be delighted in anyone should point me to a way round this!!