DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Government plans to seize drunks' cars

Posted by MikeP-180526 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MartinS-188518 - 14 years ago

No one is obligating you to live in France. These critiques are sterile and uniquely negative. All the countries have their own characteristics, their faults and their qualities. When we cannot stomach the faults maybe its time to leave.

It strikes me Maurice that you take constructive criticism of France rather personally. All you can offer is tell people to leave France if they dont like the way things are, implying that things are perfect here and shouldnt have to change.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Flow-192518 - 14 years ago

I think maurice didin't aim the british but all the people who speak english... I know it's about south africa but the replies then were some kind of negatives for france (to me) and there's no point about wine and beers industry (come on not everybody is driving a car being drunk!!!), i think this law will never be voted in france because it's too represive (but we never know...) i think nuttR was right if there was cheap night transport in the right areas...i would save some lives

flo

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 14 years ago

I don't think anybody is ignoring the fact that France has qualities. The topic is quite specific about South Africas response to Drunk drivers and the original poster was suggesting it as a proposal for this country, which does have a problem with road traffic accidents and deaths on the road.

My opinion is that the South African law is too strict and probably wouldn't work anywhere.

To bring up the positives about France and this area (good food, good weather etc would be off topic so pointless in this thread).

You didn't respond to my point about how you managed to blame the British for this thread?

Also it may be polite to point out, though I understand that it is not my place, that the website is hosted and is aimed at English speaking residents and interested parties in the Riviera and is generally conducted in English. You obviously have a good understanding of the language and it would be polite to reply in English so all readers may benifit from your input.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Maurice243 - 14 years ago

Personne ne vous oblige à vivre en France. Ces critiques sont stériles et uniquement négatives. Tous les pays ont leurs caractéristiques propres, leurs défauts, leurs qualités. Quand on ne supporte plus les défauts alors il est temps de partir.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MartinS-188518 - 14 years ago

What hypocracy, all British all things considered.

We might say that in the UK no one drives drunk and moreover dont drink at all or with moderation. Is suffices to go to a bar at the end of the week to see the subjects of the gracious queen methodically get drunk.

If the beautifull country of France doesnt please you, go home. When we live in a foreign country, if its not because it pleases us to be there then maybe its for work: in both cases we must respect our hosts if not your behavour will resemble that of a settler.

Frankly, being held to ransom by the taxi drivers in France is part of the problem. By all means crack down on drinking and driving, lock people up, fine them, take away their licenses, confiscate their vehicles .. but offer some means for them to get home. Paying 50 Euros for a taxi isnt one of them. Terminating the last public transport home before midnight certainly isnt one of them either.

Sorry no image available
Posted by NuttR - 14 years ago

After getting suitably plastered in the pub in the UK, I tend to use a minicab to get home.  But where is the taxi rank outside the pub in Valbonne on Friday night?  And do you think I'd be able to get a ride home for three or four euros if there was one?  I think people here drink and drive more often because the only alternative is to either 1) not drink 2) have a designated driver 3) walk.  Having said that, I've never drunk-driven here cos my partner is tee-total anyway.  Still, I think you need to give people an alternative before you step in and start repressing them.  And I think the police understand that too...

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 14 years ago

Hmm Maurice, you seem to have missed the plot here. A person comments about South African law, an  Irishman makes an off hand reply and someone else comments about Australian law so you call the British hypocrites and say go home?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Maurice243 - 14 years ago

Quelle hypocrisie, toute britannique au demeurant!

on dirait qu'en uk personne ne roule bourré, que d'ailleur on ne boit pas ou avec modération. Il suffit d'aller dans un pub en fin de semaine pour voire des sujet de sa gracieuse majesté se saouler méthodiquement.

Si le beau pays de France ne vous plait pas, rentrez donc chez vous. Quand on vit dans un pays étranger si ce n'est pas parce qu'on s'y plait, ça peut être parce qu'on y travaille : dans les deux cas on doit respecter ses hôtes sinon ça ressemble à un comportement de colon.

Sorry no image available
Posted by gollum-193507 - 14 years ago

In Australia they can just confiscate your car if they think it is a bit too old. There's no MOT - but if the cops decide your car is not roadworthy at a routine control they just send it straight to the crusher. Happened to my brother!wiggly waw fish

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 14 years ago

Well they've been doing this kind of thing in South Africa for a long time now, although it hasn't always been necessary to be drunk, and the method of confiscation at traffic lights with a gun to your head leaves something to be desired.

Oh yes I'd like to see that introduced on the CdA really soon.