DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Help - I have a problem with my brakes

Posted by MARGE-191462 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

I have been told by the garage that I need a new "etrier" costing Eur400.00 (has to be imported from japan) does anybody know what an etrier is in english, the literal translation is stirup but have never heard of any part of a car called a stirup

many thanks

Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MARGE-191462 - 13 years ago

Thanks for the advise guys.. I took it to another garage who confirmed I needed a new caliper. I have ordered one from the uk £125.00 inc vat so only need to pay labour locally when the part arrives. 

So hopefully it is all sorted.

Thanks again

p.s I have a Mazda MX5    

Sorry no image available
Posted by MARGE-191462 - 13 years ago

Thanks for the advise guys.. I took it to another garage who confirmed I needed a new caliper. I have ordered one from the uk £125.00 inc vat so only need to pay labour locally when the part arrives. 

So hopefully it is all sorted.

Thanks again

p.s I have a Mazda MX5    

Sorry no image available
Posted by mikem-181687 - 13 years ago

OK folks, lets be careful with the "home mechanic" advice column"

Far better for Marge, if she doesn't trust her garage, would be recommendations of a pro mechanic or garage she could turn to.

Brakes are better dealt with by the pro's.

A brake cylinder is normally found in a drum brake system. Disc brake calipers have their pistons working directly inside the cast body of the caliper, if the bore is corroded or scored, there is no seperate cylinder to replace, the caliper must be scrapped.

There are seal kits available, but we don't know the condition of this caliper, maybe it's seized, etc.

Also, as Marge hasn't responded, maybe the €400 is for two???????

This would be reasonable.

Bottom line, Marge, when dealing with brakes, always seek professional advice.

mikem

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

oops ..... correction

quote:If the actual calipers are damaged (unlikely unless the car has been in an accident or seriously neglected) then, as BB says, you only need to get the repair kits.

This should have been ......... UNLESS the actual calipers are damaged (unlikely unless the car has been in an accident or seriously neglected) then, as BB says, you only need to get the repair kits.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

Car parts cost about 40-50% less in UK than here,  so it will pay you to source the caliperS there (they are unlikely to need to import them from Japan unless your car is a rare model), even if you have to pay to have THEM sent out. 

It would be unwise to replace just one as you are likely to end up with uneven braking which is dangerous and illegal,  also the second caliper might be in almost as poor condition as the one they tell you needs replacing.

Brake calipers are expensive due to the precision engineering required as they have to be strong but also allow some movement.  They hold the brake cylinder(s) which contain the pistons which push the pads against the discs,  providing the braking force you need when some imbecile comes out in front of you, or when you slow down as you approach the speed cameras!  The rubber seals in the cylinders are subject to deterioration, and the cylinder walls could be scored.  It may be that replacement of the cylinders or even just the seals is all that is required - the garage may be taking advantage of you. 

If the actual calipers are damaged (unlikely unless the car has been in an accident or seriously neglected) then you only need to get the repair kits.

There are many places in the UK from whom you can order parts online and the cost will be a fraction of what you have been quoted.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mikem-181687 - 13 years ago

Brake caliper, Marge. Do they say you need one or two?

What is your car?

mikem