DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

how do you get the car going?

Posted by Fosters-183924 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

That's as I thought and suggested.  I've eventually had to do it on every car I've had for the last 15 years!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fosters-183924 - 13 years ago

Thanks for all the info. I'm glad we're not the only ones getting caught out in this "modern/techno" age. The quickest easiest option in the end was to get someone to remove the immobiliser all together. Now there'll be no more problems with disfunctional/lost clickers.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

With most remote keys, if the battery fails, you can still open the door with the mechanical key, the alarm will go off, but you put the key in the ignition to stop it.  The transponder doesnt need key power.

On my car the mechanical key is hidden in the fob.  There is a little catch that frees it.

The modern keys with rolling codes sometimes need to be resynched. On a Mercedes, the technique is:

Turn to ignition position 2
Back to position 0.
Remove key.
Press and hold lock butonn
Then press unlock button 5 times.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 13 years ago

OK enough anecdotes. I have first hand experienc of this recently on 2 cars.

1st car was girlfriend's Renault Twingo. You can't get much simpler than that.  Her only key for central locking and immobiliser was stolen with her handbag.  Trying to get a mechanical key and defeat the immobiliser, my super competent friendly mechanic gave up and said "whoa no way!" and sent us to Renault dealer.  End result: 4 days witing for new key programmed to chassis number and cost 136 Euros

2nd car was mine, a Merc where I had similar problem to yours. 1 key slowly became unoperational, then some months later the 2nd key suddenly gave up.  Car totally immobilised.  Super competent friendly mechanic said "WHOA NO ^*&*@!# WAY!" and towed me to Mercedes dealer.  End result: 1 tow-truck visit to get car re-mobilised, 2nd visit 1 week later to pick up 2 keys and get them re-programmmed to chassis, 6 hours waiting.  The dealer said I was "lucky" !!!!!  Yeah - i might have needed a new immobiliser for about 1,000 Euros!  Total bill 420 Euros for the 2 keys. (the towing was free from my super competent friendly mechanic).

Welcome to the electronic world!

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

If you had a super sophisticated state of the art Merc with the latest antitheft techonlogy, Mercedes would simply program a new key for you for about 50€ .  You would also have an emergency mechanical key to keep you going, and if you were really stuck Mercedes would come to the car and program a key for free, although they would still charge for the new key.

If I remember, 1st generation remotes had a fixed code.  You had to order them from the manufacturer but you had to have the code number, which ought to be in the car papers.

You might be able to hot-wire the remote with the broken button!

Tony

Sorry no image available

By the way unless your car is really new,  an immobiliser is more trouble than it's worth.  Older cars tend not to get stolen, they get broken into and an immobilisr won't stop that.

Sorry no image available

A competent autoelectrician should be able to disable the immobiliser for you.  I had to do the same recently with my Audi.

Don't go to the authorised agent for the car as they will go by the book,  rather go to an independent garage.  Unless the car is still under warranty you have nothing to lose.

Not being able to buy a new telecommande sounds like rubbish. It is only a transmitter which sends a particular combination of frequencies. There are places which can give you a reconstructed telecommande - it's a fairly simply device from an electronic point of view. If you are near Valbonne I can recommend someone who may be able to help.

If you had a super sophisticated state of the art Merc with the latest antitheft techonlogy you'd have a problem.  Somehow with a Peugeot,  I doubt it.

By the way alarms and immobilisers are the most troublesome parts of most modern cars.