Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


how to insure moto if not French resident

Posted by I am here!!!-237894 - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Wiersbitzky-302905 - 6 years ago

As i did it : i owned a property in Antibes . I paid taxes for it . That means i was a resident , in this case a second residency . I bought a scooter in Cannes . I gave my French adress to the seller and maybe showed a 'justificativ ' a telephone or electricity-bill which had my name and French adress on it . Than he received a ' Carte gris 'maybe a temporary one from the subprefecture in Grasse and i maybe got a permanent onethere later if i didn't get a permanent one right away . On that carte gris is my name and French adress . With that i went to an insurer and got an insurance for one year .One can also insure for half a year or monthly even but one has than to insure again for the following period . I went to Swis Life insurance in Antibes who has a contract with an insurancecompany in Monaco to sell their insurance for example and i paid about 250 € . Or why not insure it in the UK and have a british licenceplate ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Patrick71-182729 - 6 years ago

Sorry with any Euro license give them a call.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Patrick71-182729 - 6 years ago

Cabinet Limonier in Nice have no issues insuring with a UK license.

+33(0) 497 117 117

To continue the heated discussion, domicile in France is taken to mean your 'French residence'. There are thousands here of many nationalities who without legal or other worries can register their vehicles in a holiday or second home (think SW France) home address.

So you guys are saying that someone with a holiday home cannot legally register any vehicle in France

The insurance company are being over zealous and a little over administrative - I'd get away from them quick.

Sorry no image available
Posted by SJM.-275126 - 6 years ago

Floridian I completely disagree with you. A vehicle should be registered and insured in the country where IT is usually resident. If you add an OR rather than the AND that you appear to be including between points 1,2 and 3 of your quoted text it should make sense.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Floridian-312987 - 6 years ago

This is for EU citizens

Ce droit de libre circulation et de séjour de moins de 3 mois est reconnu quel que soit le motif du séjour : tourisme, stage, emploi de courte durée ( http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F13512.xhtml )

Coût du certificat d'immatriculation ( http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F17638.xhtml )

Les taxes régionales sont encore établies en fonction du domicile figurant sur la carte grise.

Le règlement peut s'effectuer depuis le lieu d'achat du véhicule, même si ce lieu est situé en dehors de sa région ou son département de résidence

See that word "résidence" and the first paragraph concerning your right to circulate in France for 3 months, you are a tourist.

About insurance -

Le véhicule est réputé avoir son lieu de stationnement habituel en France :

1° Lorsqu'il porte une plaque d'immatriculation qui lui correspond et qui a été délivrée par les autorités françaises ;

2° Lorsque, bien que soumis à l'obligation d'immatriculation en France, il est dépourvu de plaque d'immatriculation ou porte une plaque qui ne lui correspond pas ou ne lui correspond plus et que l'accident survient sur le territoire français ;

3° Lorsqu'il n'est pas soumis à l'obligation d'immatriculation et que la personne qui en a la garde est domiciliée en France.

There is that word again, resident. ( http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCode.do?idArticle=LEGIARTI000017735432&idSectionTA=LEGISCTA000006174247&cidTexte=LEGITEXT000006073984&dateTexte=vig )

If you are not legally (by not being a resident, more than 183 days here) able to register a vehicle, you cannot legally insure said vehicle in France, under French law and EU law

Here is why you maybe cannot use your license - http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTexte.do?cidTexte=JORFTEXT000024772215&fastPos=1&fastReqId=1051586063&categorieLien=id&oldAction=rechTexte

The law changed in November concerning license A, now you need A1 to drive anything 125cc or above. Way to many people are dying.

Hope this helps. I would take all the papers with me back home, register it, insure it (might be cheaper) then come back and do your shopping, go to the beach,,etc.. with peace of mind.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Earthling-217786 - 6 years ago

"Thank you for the link to "residents" rights in France"

I don't see that link on this thread,maybe it has been deleted or you saw it elsewhere perhaps.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Floridian-312987 - 6 years ago

Thank you for the link to "residents" rights in France

yahoo babel fish - domicile = residence

Sorry no image available
Posted by Floridian-312987 - 6 years ago

Are you here more than 183 days a year?

If it is, you are considered a resident and once you register the vehicle and receive the papers, walk into any insurance company.

I also think the law has changed and a normal drivers license for a car is not good for a motorbike above 50cc. Separate test.

Otherwise, EU law stats you can only register vehicles in your country of residency.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Earthling-217786 - 6 years ago
Sorry no image available
Posted by Floridian-312987 - 6 years ago

Yes it does, when it is written - domicile that means place of residence, not holiday home.