Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


I need help with my 'carte grise'

Posted by nicolas-192237 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by No.6 - 13 years ago

I think you mean the Sous-préfecture in Grasse, Katherine, and not the Mairie, which I don't think deals with carte grises or drving licences.

At regional level, the Alpes-Maritimes are administered via one Préfecture (Nice) and one Sous-préfecture (Grasse). 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Katherine-186137 - 13 years ago

Hi Nicolas,

I have just gone through exactly what you are about to, actually I was shocked at how simple it is.  First go to any police station, tell them you have lost it in the last couple of days and they will get you to fill in a form there and then and they stamp it and date it.  Then you need the  latest Control Technic, mine was really old but they just looked up on there computer and said that I did have one valid till january.  ON the angloinfo instructions it says you need one in the last 6 months..... this was not the case in my situation.... okay now, take the form, the control technic if you have one.... a form of Identification and about 30 Eur and go to the Mairie in Grasse.  I  did not know where it was located, drove to Grasse centre and just followed the signs!!! I swear.  It is as easy as that, you have to wait in a queue for about 2 hours, office hours are from 9am to 2pm and presto, it's done.  Not nearly as bad as thought.

If you don't have a control tecnic then you have to go the Mairie with the form from the police and ask for a temporary Carte Gris cause you can't get a control technic withought a carte gris!

Hope this has helped.


Sorry no image available
Posted by nicolas-192237 - 13 years ago

Thanks a lot humptydingo.

Have a nice day

Sorry no image available
Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - 13 years ago

Just tied this click and it doesn't seem to work - try to long way around :www.vosdroits.service-public.fr - click on Transports - automobiles et deux roues - papiers de vehicle - Carte Grise - en case de perte - Certa no. 12096*01

Sorry no image available
Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - 13 years ago

Click on www.equipment.gouv.fr/formulaires/fic_pdf/12096.pdf This is the form for stolen or lost Carte Grises which you can complete on line, print off and send to your Prefecture.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ruby-197471 - 13 years ago

Have you asked the local  prefecture? They might know