DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Insurance for Scooters

Posted by Padraig-182783 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0

All,

I am looking to buy a 50cc scooter and I want to find out what insurance companies offer the best deals. I believe that full coverage for all eventualities is too expensive any way but I want to get theft insurance also. I think responsabilite civile plus theft insurance is what I should get. Do the quotes vary based on age, nationality, driving license holder? I am assuming it does so with the following information in mind can you recommend a few reasonably priced companies ?

Nationality : Irish and male

Scooter spec : 50cc Aprilia Mojito, 1300KM on the clock, August 2002

Full Driving License holder : No

Thanks,

Padraig

Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by munchkin-191066 - 14 years ago

Hi

I have a 50cc scooter, no driving license and also found it very hard to get insurance. However, I found that MGA Antibes were the best for me so give them a call 0493340589 and speak to Pascale...don't think they speak english though.

I got full coverage including theft as it was a brand new scooter...if it's more than 2 years old don't ask for theft cover.

good luck

claire

Sorry no image available
Posted by veroniek-192657 - 14 years ago

Hi Padraig,

Can I ask you what you found out about the different insurances? I have exactly the same question at the moment and would greatly appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance, Veronique

veroniquestegen@yahoo.com

Sorry no image available
Posted by Padraig-182783 - 15 years ago

David,

Thanks for that. Apparently AXA will only insure your scooter if you already have a policy with them or have had one in the past.

Regards,

Padraig

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 15 years ago

I used AXA in La Colle Sur loup for my motorcycle insurance (not too expensive).

The lady there speaks some English. Its not too far away from Cagnes so may be worth a visit (on the route to St Paul De Vence next to John Taylors Estate Agents in La Colle).

Sorry no image available

Any other takers?

Regards,

Padraig

Sorry no image available

Mixer,

Thanks for the input. Am I right in reading that Direct Insurance will insure even pets but not scooters? I can find stuff about cars but not scooters.

Best quote so far is 228 for Resp civile but to go for the with theft option I have to go for the kitchen sink option which is 655 euros!!!!!!

Thanks,

Padraig

Sorry no image available
Posted by mixer-186069 - 15 years ago

Good luck is all I can say, those things go like hot-cakes, especially in Cagnes sur Mer.

You will have to have a lock recognised as a 'proper lock' by the insurance company - any bike shop will be able to advise you on that.

The other MOST important detail that will affect your quote is where you keep it. You will have to say that it's away in a garage day and night or the quote will be sky high.

As for an example of quotes, try flicking around on the Direct Assurance website - that will give you an idea of what kinds of insurance are on offer and how much it will cost you. Careful of the small print!

Good luck, m

Sorry no image available

anybody out there to help?

Thanks,

Padraig