DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Insurance On UK Reg Cars

Posted by Aidan-181979 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by pub.valbonne - 15 years ago

By European Law, if you are fully comp in the country where the car is registred then you are automatically covered in the EU but third party only without limitation in time - check with any insurance in the UK.

Anne

Sorry no image available
Posted by Eric318 - 15 years ago

Hence the value in keeping UK plates in France and therefore finding an insurer for the beast. Axa Rue de France, I will try that, thanks!

Anne and Jim, who is your kind UK insurer then?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ian Manzie - 15 years ago

Surely to get a French Controle Technique on a British car you will have to have the headlights changed?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anne & Jim - 15 years ago

you have a point but can't get an MOT in France and I doubt that the DVLA will accept the french CT !?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Aidan-181979 - 15 years ago

re MOT we were told by our UK broker not to worry too much ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WELL IF I WAS YOU GET A CT ITS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY!! AT LEAST IT PROVES THE CAR WAS FIT TO BE ON THE ROAD AND PROBLEMS ONLY COME ABOUT WHEN THERE IS A CLAIM AND GET IT IN WRITING AS I DID FROM YOUR BROKER THAT A CT IS OK.

AIDANpostamble();

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anne & Jim - 15 years ago

we have a UK car as well with a UK full comp in the UK which give you automatically third party cover abroad unlimited. check with your UK insurance - re MOT we were told by our UK broker not to worry too much ! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nicky & Paul-185522 - 15 years ago

The only company in the UK who we could find who would provide a 12 mth green card and insurance was Stuart Collins - we could get you their details if you wanted. It was extremely expensive!! We have since found Christina Wingfield at AXA (Agence Limonier, Rue de France) Nice who appears to be the only insurer who will cover cars with British plates. She is very helpful.Trust us, we have done 2 years research into this and couldn't believe our luck when we came across Christina on this site - she has saved us a lot of money.Cheers,Nicky & Paulhttp://www.corsicanholidays.com

Sorry no image available
Posted by docoliver - 15 years ago

Can you tell me which UK insurer gives you cover in France for 12 months with CT accepted?Chris