DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Insurance query - is 'concubin' a legal term?

Posted by abc123-183592 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

Just wondering if 'concubin' is a legal term or loosely means a partner you live with.  Do you need a document to be a concubin(e)?  (Or just a kimono and an open mind..?)

On some car insurances the form seems to automatically concubinise me when I indicate I live with my boyfriend and would like to insure him on my car.  Do I make a concubin out of him, or do I suggest he has 'un autre lien' with me?  Will he have to dress like a geisha at all times or just when in the car...? 

(Ok, all questions serious apart from the last of each paragraph bien sur!)

Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by No.6 - 13 years ago

Interesting financial comparison between Concubinage, PACS and Mariage to be found here

Re:... PACS declarations give tax breaks after a few qualifying years 

Just to add to this, if Nicolas Sarkozy's "Projet de loi de finances pour 2005" gets voted in, the current 3-year wait before the PACS tax breaks kick in should be abolished next year, i.e. the advantages will apply from the tax year in which the PACS is contracted, as per a marriage contract today.

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

quote:is concubinage valid on tax forms / offer any tax breaks

No.  Only legal marriages give immediate tax breaks.  PACS declarations give tax breaks after a few qualifying years.  Concubinage is not recognized by the Fisc.

quote:or any advantages when declared to the authorities

Yes.  Sécurité Sociale for example. They will cover your concubin(e) if you are covered.

quote:HR departments of companies etc?

Yes.  Depends on your company and their policies - typically around giving access to the same benefits (insurance, perks, etc.) that they sometimes extend to married partners.  e.g. immediate tax-free indemnity from your life assurance in case of death.

Sorry no image available
Posted by newowner - 13 years ago

Refreshing the concubin messsage stream - is concubinage valid on tax forms / offer any tax breaks / or any advantages when declared to the authorities / HR departments of companies etc?

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

Ha - I always laugh at the fascination shown by anglophones to the Gallic liberalism.  The interest shown in concubinage borders on the prurient.  As you've got the right answer about the insurance, let's look at concubinage...

Article 515-8 of the Code Civil defines concubinage as ;

quote:"Le concubinage est une union de fait, caractérisée par une vie commune présentant un caractère de stabilité et de continuité, entre deux personnes de sexe différent ou de même sexe, qui vivent en couple."

As France implements equal rights for men and women, if a man has a concubine, then by definition the woman has a concubin.  Oh - it is equally valid for same sex unions so I guess that makes concubin pairs or concubine pairs (never heard that said by the way).

Sorry no image available
Posted by abc123-183592 - 13 years ago

Thanks for clarification Mike.  Choosing between being 'celibate' and a 'concubine' always fascinates me, but looks like kimonos here we come!

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

If your concern relates only to the car insurance aspect of your relationship, all you have to do is specify him as a named driver for your car, in which it does not matter what your relationship with him is.

Some policies will include any adult living in the same household as the policy holder.