DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Liability insurance when you don't own a car

Posted by PugiGalante-181859 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

1 reply

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 15 years ago

The situation in France is that the CAR must be insured at a minimum for third party.  All properly licensed drivers are covered by the insurance on the car itself BUT if it is not a "named" driver who has the accident, then the policy holder will suffer on franchise and no-claims discount.  So as long as your licence is valid, you are covered for 3rd party when driving any properly registered car in France.

If the owner wishes to decalre you as a named driver, this will cost anything from 10% to 50% more on his premium depending on your relationship, your driving history, age, etc.  So the owner would "buy" the risk of adding your name to the policy and therefore would have no penalty (other than what he/she would sufer personally) in the case of you having a 3rd party claim against you (i.e. the car).

That is the situation for 3rd party ("au tiers").  I can't remember what happens for non named drivers for claims under fully comprehensive insurance.  It could be that they only accept risk at the level of 3rd party.