DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

MOT For UK reg car

Posted by marti-185664 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by NH-189638 - 14 years ago

Thats correct, you must change the headlights to pass the CT.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ian81-188951 - 14 years ago

I would have thought a CT and a MOT on the same car would not be possible without changing the headlights????

Sorry no image available

From experience I have never had trouble with making a claim from a UK insurer for a car with a valid CT. In fact, when a car was written off they paid for it to be brought back to the UK and paid the book value for the car. Like you say, check first.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

On insurance  .... yes your insurance company will carry on taking your money because you think your car is legal and they don't care, but it is your responsiblity to comply with local regulations which your UK insurers cannot be expected to know about.

However,  when you have a claim (and hopefully you won't) you can bet anything you like that the loss adjusters will delve into the situation to find reasons to repudiate your claim - even if they took your premiums.  At best, you might get your premium back if you can prove that they could not have held you covered based on the information you had supplied to them.  On the other hand,  if you gave them false or misleading information, forget it!

A 'friend of mine' drove a 'grey area' car for a long time and got away with it,  but he tells me (ahem!) that the day he decided to go legal he felt a weight had been lifted from his shoulders. Also,  things have tightened up now, partly as a result of 'continuous registration'.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

quote:You have to prove to the Insurer that the car is in a road worthy condition

No. You have to prove to the insurer that the vehicle is "street legal", which is not quite the same thing. More importantly, you may have to pursuade the police that the vehcle is legal - and "oh, but my insurance company said it was all right," won't cut much ice with them.

The information we got from the DVLA contradicts yours - if the car is not legal to drive in the UK, then it is not considered to be registered by the DVLA. And that's against UK law, what with the new policy of "continuous registration", for a start.

However, laws and the way in which they are interpreted can change, which is why I suggest that it's madness to guess, and that anyone in an "unusual" situation should contact both the DVLA and the French authorities (and no other "experts") to confirm exactly what the situation is now, and to get that confirmation in writing before venturing out in a potentially illegal vehicle.

This is not an area where guessing or extrapolating from others' experience is wise.

Mike

Sorry no image available

If you are in France within the 6 months and your MOT expires, you can have a CT. I have checked this with both the insurer and the DVLA.  If you make a claim on your insurance, what part does the DVLA come into it? You have to prove to the Insurer that the car is in a road worthy condition, which the CT proves.  You do have to check with the Insurer first, not all Insurers accept a CT. I am with AA, a respectable insurer and they accept its validity. Its true that after 6 months, you should register the car in France.

Sorry no image available

The insurers may accept a CT, but the DVLA does not. And the DVLA is the authority responsible for licencing a UK-plated car that has been in France for less than six months. If the MOT is not valid (if having an MOT is a condition of licencing), the car becomes a de facto unlicenced - and thus uninsured - vehicle. The insurers will continue to take your money, but you can't legally drive the vehicle.

After six months, of course, the vehicle must, by law, be re-registered on French plates.

To find out about re-registering your car you can see the INFOrmation pages at http://riviera.angloinfo.com/af/1/ .

I'd advise you NOT to accept the word of anyone other than the DVLA in the UK and the appropriate Ministries in France if you think you might be in a "gray" area. Insurance companies and posters on discussion forums (even posters that have themselves got chapter and verse from the UK and French authorities... :-) should not be regarded as authorititive.

Mike

Sorry no image available

Some UK Insurers will accept a Control Technique. You will need to check this. If you do take your car for a Control Technique you will need to change your headlights to confirm with French regulations.

Sorry no image available

Can't be done.**************
Mike