DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Motor Biking

Posted by thurley - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Moving to the area in early September. Just started riding after nearly 30 years absence! My transport in France will be a Honda VFR 800. Interested in finding out about any "bikers" clubs or organisations.

e-mail: terryhurley800@hotmail.com

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by fish-187106 - 14 years ago

Chris, thanks for your views. After a rush of blood to the head I road tested a Moto Guzzi Brava (good mag test review), and Triumph Bonnerviile and Thunderbird. Bought the latter despite ancient design and massive weight, and because of its looks and character. Once it and me are run in, will be looking for some ride outs. All the best.

Michael.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chris - Lyndsay - 14 years ago

Good advice to trust the reports in Bike Mag - Easily the best of all the current publications.

Personally, I have had an SV 650S for 3 years - only covered 10K on it due to too much work, but it is awsome and perfect for these parts - Check out SV650.org for the owners club if you want to read what others think.

I know what you mean about getting a test ride - no one will want to know. I've had the same problem - the only solution is to trust the informed opinion of others like BIKE and the owners clubs.

Happy riding and watch out for those tin boxes which will try to kill you!!

Sorry no image available

Thurley,

Thanks for your advice. How do you get to have an extended test run on a bike before you buy? With a month old bike qualification most outlets are unwilling, but at new bike prices I want to try before I buy. All the best (is that what Bikers say to each other?) Thanks

Fish.Still the Red Vespa.

Sorry no image available
Posted by thurley - 14 years ago

In a recent "Bike" magazine test they rated the Honda Hornet No.1, Fazer No. 2, Suzuki SV650S No.3 and Kawasaki ZR7 No. 4. Out of a 4 bike test. It depends what you are after at the end of the day. Do you want an all rounder, a street bike or an "imitation" traillie like the Varadero or Pegaso. Maybe you want the most versatile bike on the planet? Say hello to the Honda VFR 750 or (newer) 800. This was my first big bike and i found it easy to ride but it is big for zooming round town. I am tempted, when I get to France, to keep the VFR for long ditance and ride-outs. I would then buy something likean Aprilia Pegaso 650 for getting around. 

Sorry no image available

Thanks for you good wishes. I did pass the test! I need your views on a good 1st bike. Want to do a bit of touring and prefer not too much weight on my wrists. Have wondered about Fazer and Hornet, but love the look of the Bonnerville, but haven't been able to find any authoritatve tests. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks

Fish

Sorry no image available
Posted by thurley - 14 years ago

Firstly a message for Fish. Hope you passed your test and that you get the Bonneville. If not a warm welcome would be extended to anyone on 2 wheels even if it is a Vespa! Lambrettas seemed so much more cool back when I was a lad!

Secondly, what a cracking good idea from jjmiller. If you are looking for something that doesn't exist, then create it! Now all that is needed is someone with time on their hands to organise things. I am moving to Sophia to take on an ailing business and grow it, so my free time will be limited. 

Here's to meeting up with everyone once I get over there on 1st Sept.

Sorry no image available

Mac & jjmiller:

Wot about my Vespq?

Fish

Beware the Red Vespa!

Sorry no image available
Posted by jjmiller - 14 years ago

We should just start a club. There seems to be lots of interest.

I'll join when my TL1000R gets shipped over.

J

Sorry no image available
Posted by rmac99 - 14 years ago

Hi,

I live in Menton and have been riding down here for 3 years. Would be happy to have a ride out somewhere sometime. I have a Honda VTR1000 (Firestorm) and have been riding for about 5 years in total.

I can be reached at richardmccreery@aol.com

I haven't come across any local bike clubs but its true that the Italians seem keener than the French on biking in groups.

Sorry no image available
Posted by christopherhogge - 14 years ago

my fingers move faster than my brain!