DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

My plan for registering 2 UK cars

Posted by Zingano-186230 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Zingano-186230 - 14 years ago

Well, we started off to do this today, little expecting that by lunchtime we'd have our cartes grises in our grubby little hands, but by 12:30 indeed we did! It all went remarkably smoothly, and we DIDN'T need the controle technique.

A couple of weeks ago I phoned a garage, to see if they could get it done for me. They said the cars needed the CT (in fact a more difficult version called "mines" or something, because they claimed the cars were of American origin (untrue)) and that the lights etc. would need changing. They quoted us €1200 per car to do this - and in fact none of it was necessary.

Advice to anyone else getting this done - follow the Anglo Info, which is correct (although do check where to get your certificate de doudanement - we started at Antibes but actually had to go to Valbonne, which covers Vence.)

Sorry no image available

I'd heard somewhere that it was expensive, and I've also heard that I can't sell the cars in France until I've had them two years, else I pay import duty. We don't really need two cars, as it turns out, and we'd quite like to get rid of one of them.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

I'm not clear why you've changed tack,  but if it is because of the need to get a CT,  don't let that put you off.  It is quite simple, quick, and painless, unless your cars are real bangers (and obviously they're not!)

And yes, you can 'change your mind' as far as DVLA are concerned.  You'll find full info on their website.

Sorry no image available

Aargh, this is proving much more onerous than I thought. Is it possible to re-import the cars back to the UK without registering them in France first, sell them there, and buy down here?I suppose what I'm asking is if I can retrospectively tell DVLA that it was a tempory export not a permanent one.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sheila bardon - 14 years ago

Yes you will need a Controle technique for both carssheila

Sorry no image available

No, both left hand drive.Do I really need the CT - the AngloInfo stuff implies otherwise?

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 14 years ago

Do you mean Right Hand Drive cars? Can you do that?

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

You will get the tax clearance certificates on the spot - at least I did, from the one in Cannes.

I think you will need a CT, seem to remember reading that even a new foreign rego car needs a French CT to get its Carte Grise