DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

old car insurance claim advice

Posted by andrei-205311 - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by andrei-205311 - 6 years ago

Dear Mech 107,

thanks for the advice as well. I have notified my insuarance company already. However, due to the festive season (workshop is closed) and then we are going back to the UK the insuarance postponed the assessment until we come back in spring. Therefore I have a chance to balance the options. With no fault of my own I am likely to have all this stress and forking out money for a replacement car as well as aching neck.

Best wishes and peaceful hols.

Andrei

Sorry no image available
Posted by andrei-205311 - 6 years ago

Dear ChrisB, many thanks for your sound advice. I will get a copy of Argos and will look at the recomended sites in order to have some figures prepared. It is the first time I had an accident in France. Therefore it is all new to me. It is a second Mitsubishi Colt we had as a holiday car and it is remarkable care free, reliable car. It will start after half a year in a garage no problem and run like a clock. My concern that with the spare wheel in the boot jammed the floor panel buckled and therefore it will not pass technical control next year. The visual damage does not concern me very much. Best wishes and have peaceful hols.

Andrei

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mech1007-199009 - 6 years ago

Don't forget to advise your own ins. company, they should act for you in the negotiations if you explain your side of the argument.

Regards

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChB-184121 - 6 years ago

The first part you have answered yourself, they will decide it is un-economicle to repair so offer you the replacement cost. If they say it is worth €500 then they are saying you could get a replacement for €500. You are saying you could not get a replacement, but I'm not sure if you could prove that if there are adverts for similar cars advertised for this price on La Central, Ebay, Paruvendu or whatever. You should first get the official Argos "cote" so you both know what the value is. note that this is not the same as the value on La Central. The question of reliability you may want to bring up, but note that they will argue that because it has been reliable in the past was no guarantee that it wasn't about to pack up the next day, likewise buying a similar car could give you loads of problems or give you years of trouble-free motoring, you just will not be able to prove it one way or the other.

One option, depending on the extent of the damage, would be to repair the worst of the damage, and keep the car, at least you know it has been well maintained so you can be confident of it's reliability, and the remaining visible damage you just live with until someone else runs into you and you can claim for the rest.