DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Price for new VW Golfs in Riviera

Posted by stesam - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

My partner and I are planning to move to the Riviera in October and we would like to be able drive a LHD car when we arrive. I would prefer to avoid renting for any length of time. We will need a car almost immediately we arrive. Neither of us can claim we are fluent in French and neither has a huge amount of experience with buying used cars. I believe that buying a new car is never a particularly good use of money so I am looking to try and buy a used LHD car in the UK before we leave and bring it to France to register it. I will have the AA check it over before buying and I know it will cost me ~ 500 Euros to register in France. However I do not want to pay more for a 2nd hand vehicle from a UK dealer than I can buy the equivalent vehicle new in the Riviera.

We are looking at buying a VW Golf. I have some quotes for suitable models from some UK LHD dealers and I am trying to work out the price we might expect to have to pay for a new VW Golf if we bought direct from a dealership in the Nice area. 

I have been looking at models via VW France web site:

http://www.volkswagen.fr/index.htm

Using their 'configerateur' and 'tarrifs' I seem to arrive at a Euros figure for various models. What I am not sue about is whether the amount that the site shows is what we can expect to have to pay or whether there are other extra costs I am missing by looking at prices this way.

We are coming to the area in 2 weeks for the weekend and I will visit a dealership while we are over to open these discussions but I wondered what other experiences people had and comments on this approach ? 

I do not really want to take on buying a used car in France since my French knowledge and car knowledge will not really stretch to checking

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Baker-184525 - 13 years ago

Hi,

Have you sold your golf?

How much are you selling it for?

Thanks

06 07 52 62 54

Sorry no image available

Hi,

Have you sold your golf?

Thanks

06 07 52 62 54

Sorry no image available

Hi,

Have you sold your golf?

Thanks

06 07 52 62 54

Sorry no image available

Hi,

Have you sold your golf?

Thanks

06 07 52 62 54

Sorry no image available
Posted by wierenganed - 14 years ago

Hello,

I am prepared to sell our DTi (110 horse power) LHD registered 6-10-99

38000km on the clock,one carefull English driver,all maintenance specification available,accident free.Reason of sale insufficient use

no need for 2nd car.Tel/fax 0033493494117

poco loco

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mike V-188564 - 14 years ago

You will have to change (not just realign) the headlights. But I'd buy one here anyway. It's a lot simpler than shipping one from the UK and then getting it to meet French regulations. Unless the original sale of the car was in France a whole can of worms could be opened up. NOT to be recommended unless your French is perfect......Mike V

Sorry no image available
Posted by stesam - 14 years ago

MikeP - those are the guys I am planning to see. I am calling someone there tomorrow and plan to meet them on Saturday week

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

Whichever car you choose, if you buy a new or recent car in France it will have some sort of guarantee.

If you buy a second-hand LHD in the UK, the dealers guarantee ends effectively when you export the car, since you wont want to take it back if there is a problem.

If the car is still under a manufacturers warranty, that will be honoured in France.

Many LHD cars sold in the UK will have had the lights and speedo converted for UK driving.

Of course it might be easier for other reasons to buy in the UK, perhaps you need a car now, but I doubt if you will save anything.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by lob-189383 - 14 years ago

my golf has had many things go wrong with it like windows falling into the skin of the door, gear linkeage break, interior switches fallen off and now a clunking from the front.

previous vws i've owned have been excellent - beetle, passat and mk1 golf but in my opinion they aren't what they used to be.

oh another place to see user opinions

http://www.carsurvey.org

see opinions of 1999 onwards for golfs - not pretty.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Lob : I tend to agree with you about the newer models although it is a bit of a generalisation.  Friends of mine have one of the new Mk. IV TdI's and it is superb.  They've done a hefty mileage in it and had no trouble at all. 

Stesam :  If the VW dealer you are referring to in Grasse is Jose Cauvin at Quatre Chemins,  they have an excellent reputation. I can't speak for any others.