DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

radar detectors in France

Posted by EGP-193072 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

can anyone provide any information about using radar detector in the cote d'azur? is it legal?  are the UK sold systems any good down here?

Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by brilboats - 14 years ago

Hi EGP.

I have used a US purchased model here, and it works great.  The bad news is that if they catch you with it (I am informed), that they can confiscate your car - the same as if you are driving at over 200.  Beware!

ps - I'm not using mine any more, and just got a 135 EUR fine from the famous Nice tunnel camera - I was only doing 83!!!!!!

Beware.

Michael

Michael

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

On the subject of GPS based detectors.  This French site has an article on their use in France.

http://www.caradisiac.com/php/actu_enq/enq/radars/radar160/mg_5585_anti_radars.php

They interviewed some government officials and none of them saw any problems with using these devices.

The software I am using is Checkpoint http://checkpoint.oabsoftware.nl 

It is free (but you need the PDA and the Nav software) and the French database seems upto date.  It certainly has all the fixed and mobile radar sites that I know about.

Tony

Sorry no image available

Well, I'm happy with it.  If you already have a PDA its quite a cheap solution.  The routes it calculates are reasonable but if you know an area well you can probably find a better route yourself. 

The best thing is that it quickly recalulates if you deviate from its route, so you can try short cuts, and it will always find a route from where you happen to be.

Before I had it, it was endless arguments with the wife, because I was always trying to read a map while driving along, and she was always trying to get me to stop and ask directions.

Now all is bliss, except that she doesnt like the female voice.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by jonboy-191946 - 14 years ago

How good is the Tom Tom system for navigation?  Is it the voice one?  I had a Garmin system and it was too fiddly so sold it.

Sorry no image available

The systems that detect radar transmissions are certainly illegal in France. I am not sure how effective they are because a lot of speed traps only emit a radar pulse to measure a cars speed.  The new motorway radars have narrow beams that are difficult to detect in time.

So often they just serve as a reminder to free 135 EUR from your savings account.

The systems that use a GPS and a database are legal, but you dont know how up-to-date the database is.  They indicate favourite spots for mobile traps, but usually there is nothing there.

I use the TomTom navigator PDA software, and speed cameras are one of a set of "points of interest" that the system detects, alongside picnic areas and petrol stations.

Tony