DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Re-registering a uk car in France

Posted by Jayemm - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jayemm - 14 years ago

Thanks a lot to gerbil and mikep, I was quoted the £400 (575 euros) by a local French garage; I took it to a BMW garage in France and they just turned the lenses over! Cost 61 euros! The Controle Technique was no trouble and at 50 euros for 2 years seems a good price. The rest I have still to do, so I hope it will be no more than I have already been told

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

It all sounds reasonable except the cost of the headlights - £400 was proably quoted to you by a BMW agent.  As suggested,  you could pick them up at a scrapyard for a fraction. 

You used to be able to get away with 'deflectors' but that is probably not allowed any longer. 

The other possibility is to work out a way of rotating the mountings that the bulbs are held in so that they dip the other way - that is the reason they have to be changed.

Sorry no image available
Posted by gerbil-194494 - 14 years ago

Not sure how you think the costs can be ruduced? The costs for the Certificate of Conformity, Control Technique, and Carte Gris are fixed. You might be able to pick up a set of secondhand headlights from a scrap yard at a lower cost.You might find cheaper insurance elsewhere or you could opt for a lower level of cover.

Sorry no image available
Posted by gerbil-194494 - 14 years ago

Not sure how you think the costs can be ruduced? The costs for the Certificate of Conformity, Control Technique, and Carte Gris are fixed. You might be able to pick up a set of secondhand headlights from a scrap yard at a lower cost.You might find cheaper insurance elsewhere or you could opt for a lower level of cover.