DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Red Alert! Gas Pumps Hijacked !

Posted by venkym - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by venkym - 15 years ago

What really irks me is that, inspite of the fact that the automated gas pumps have been compromised, the concerned establishment (for example, Carrefour), seems to do nothing about it, except to check the pumps after every weekend.

I mean, it is very clearly their responsibility to maintain some level of security.

I see this as yet another example of typical French callousness. Grrrrr

I, for one, am going to avoid shopping at Carrefour as far as possible.

Venky

Sorry no image available
Posted by seen - 15 years ago

No hoax -my wife got a letter from her bank stating that she had used her card at the automated Esso garage near Antibes and recomending that she change her card and pin number ,although no fraud has yet shown up on her card. It also made the front page of the Nice Matin today.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mixer-186069 - 15 years ago

Not a joke, happened to a friend of mine at a motorway service station just after Cannes direction Marseille. Good job he checked his accounts - 50 Euros had been taken. A little here and there from all those that don't scrutinise their accounts and it all adds up.

What a sad world we live in eh?

Sorry no image available
Posted by venkym - 15 years ago

If you send me an email (via the angloinfo link), I would be glad to refer you to my friend, who, in turn could show you the proof on paper.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jan-181414 - 15 years ago

I don't think this is a hoax. It happened to a friend of mine who bought petrol at Carrefour Antibes recently.When he went to the police station there were others there making the same complaint.JanAnything for a peaceful life

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

Too many people claim first hand knowledge if this for it to be a hoax.  Also,  apparently all the credit cards used had April 2003 as the expiry date.  (This part may be an urban myth!)

Sorry no image available
Posted by woody78912 - 15 years ago

Are you sure this is not a hoax?There have been some emails floating around about this subject.Woody