Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


registering a french registered car in UK

Posted by Pongorof-188797 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rouretan - 14 years ago

I have also moved cars within the EU: You no longer have to change headlights (although some MOT stations still expect you to "blank over the right dip part of the lens) and there is no requirement to have a speedo in MPH; KPH is legal in England.

It is worth remembering that you are not inporting a car within the EU just reregistering it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by irishman-180738 - 14 years ago


A couple of questions - maybe you know the answers

Do you need to have any kind of export paperwork from France?Is the procedure identical for cars under the MOT age - lets say for a 1 or 2 yr old vehicle?



Sorry no image available
Posted by Pongorof-188797 - 14 years ago

Thank you so much for your kind help

With best regards



Sorry no image available
Posted by delboy_trading - 14 years ago

I have registered several cars in the Uk from France and it is very easy.

You need the following to enable a quick and easy transfer:

1. Proof of ownership (Grey Card must be in your name)

2. Proof that you have used the car in France (The best here is either a ferry ticket or train ticket with the registration on it)

3. The vehicle must be insured in France, a copy of the insurance policy/cover note is needed

4. Control tech needs to be in date.

You will need to get the correct forms from dvla, you will need a V10 and a V55/5, they are very easy to get hold of if you call Dvla they will send you one (0044 8702400010) All the information is on form V100 if you ask for that as well.

When you arrive in the Uk you will need to do the following:

1. Talk to insurance cover and ask for cover on the French plates, they will grumble a little but most good companys will agree (AA etc)

2. Change your European headlights for Uk ones.

3. Ensure your Speedo has both Mph and Kmph showing, by either a stick on sticker or by changing the clocks(expensive)

4. When the above has been done take the car for an MOT and request the MOT be done on the French registration plate.

If it passes take the above mentioned forms, also the new insurance cover note in case they ask for it and the new MOT to your local vehicle registration office (not post office i have a list if you tell me where you will be living)

Here they will check your forms and if everything is ok they will Restamp your MOT with the newly issued Uk registration

It used to cost the cost of either 6 0r 12 months tax but i think there will be a small fee

They will take some of the forms away but you get these all back in a few weeks.

If you plan to sell the car in the Uk within the first 6 months of registering it there you will have to pay import tax. If however you keep it there is no tax to be paid.

I hope this helps you out, if you need any other pointers just reply to this posting.

Good luck!


Sorry no image available
Posted by eldelphia - 14 years ago

To bring it back permanently you're going to have to import it. To do that you need to get forms from the DVLA http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/exptimpt.htm . I think you're ok for 6 months tho' if its registered ok in the EU  - I quote - (from link above)

"There are International agreements which provide for the temporary use of a vehicle in a foreign country for a limited time, usually 6 months in a 12 month period. A visitor to the UK may use a vehicle displaying foreign plates, provided that all taxes (including vehicle excise duty) are paid in their country of origin."

However I'd check with the DVLA.