Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Registering A Jeep Wrangler

Posted by RonnieD - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by David & Grace - 14 years ago

I may have just the solution for you as I am about to move back to the UK and am looking to sell a Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L which is currently Monaco registered. I have both hard and soft top options, it is LHD and has done only 50K Kms since birth. It also has stacker CD system and ski racks for the trip up the mountains. Let me know if you are interested.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mark 1-191514 - 14 years ago

If you have a english reg car that you like and it conforms to french spec who cares if you have to change headlights and possible seat belts and a few other parts.If you cant do it yourself then sind someone to do it for you i can reconmend classic cars 06 valbonne they changed my car over with no problems.



Sorry no image available
Posted by voorrob - 14 years ago

I agree with the comments regarding buying a car here unless you are totally in love with your Wrangler.  I brought my Jeep Wrangler from the US and after 10 months of spending tons of money to make it acceptable (headlights, bumpers, VIN plaque, etc.) and a LOT of waiting for the powers that be, I am about to run out of legal extensions for the vehicle and it will then become impossible to register here and illegal to drive.  Good luck to you.



Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

I've almost completed the process of registering a UK car in France and have not had any problems so far.  In fact I am about to cross the last hurdle today (I hope) with a visit to the Prefecture with all the documents which will enable me to get the French Carte Grise.

The basis really is whether or not it conforms to the French type.  If it doesn't  you will (almost certainly) have problems.  If it does,  it will probably be straightforward.  You can contact the French agents/importers and request a 'certificat d'homologation', and they will then check and issue you a certificate (or not!).  It will cost you between £50-100 to do this. 

Regarding keeping a UK registered vehicle in France for more than 6 months, technically it is illegal, but what it boils down to is first that they catch you and secondly that they know when you brought it in.  A friend of mine (ahem!) has had UK registered vehicles in France for + 3 years without any problems.

It is important to make sure that it is properly insured, which is not always easy,  and it is a good idea to have a French control technique (roadworthy cert) done on it periodically so that in the event of a claim or accident, you cannot be accused of driving an unroadworthy car.

Good luck and contact me if you need any help, as it is all fresh in my mind.


Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 15 years ago

Les is right - if it was a car you'd owned for years and loved dearly, then maybe it would be worth trying to find a path through the minefield. As it is, however, I'd say "buy a car in France".**************

Sorry no image available
Posted by lespalmiers - 15 years ago


have you checked all the information available at http://www.angloinfo.com/information/motoregister.asp   ?

Personally, I would have thought a vehicle of this age - retro fitted with an lpg conversion and LHD from the UK could be fraught with problems - and have you actually driven one ? ( yuk ! )

Check the prices in specialist dealers in France before deciding if it is worth it - dont forget to price replacement headlights and to check whether the exact model was originally imported - if not - more problems !!

Happy motoring !


Regards, Les