Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Returning to UK - Car Insurance Conundrum

Posted by emelia16-285362 - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by RuthR - 5 years ago


I haven't been in exactly the same situation as I'm still living in France. But last year I took my RHD French registered car back to the UK. I informed my French insurance company that I was taking the car to the UK and, from what I remember, I think the car was still covered by my French insurance policy when I arrived in the UK (and as a French resident this was fine).

I got an info pack the DVLA with details on how to import a car, including form V55/5 to apply for a first tax disc and registration of a used motor vehicle.

The problem was finding UK insurance (required to register the car) for a car on French plates, but I managed to get cover through A-Plan insurance (http://www.aplan.co.uk). The cover allowed for 14 days on French plates while the car was being registered in the UK (which is supposed to take a week from when the DVLA receive the form).

Hope this helps!

Sorry no image available
Posted by LovedaCote - 5 years ago

4got to add. You have 60 days according to EU law to switch registration and insurance to your new country of residence.

So, you are covered by your insurance in France for your first 60 days I would think.

Sorry no image available
Posted by LovedaCote - 5 years ago

We contacted our future insurance agency in our new country months in advance to our move and they sorted everything.