DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Scooter license

Posted by fidav - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

Thats what I meant by conversion.  Normally a EU licence is valid anywhere in the EU, even if you change your residence, except if you comment an offence that results in an endorsement or point deduction.

A1 is the new class for 2-wheelers upto 125cc.  I seem to get it by default, just as I get the heavy trailer BE licence.

It seems that it is easy to lose a category or two when you exchange licences.

http://riviera.angloinfo.com/forum/topic.asp?topic_ID=25293&forum_ID=23&cat_ID=2&topic_Title=Exchanging+an+EU+driving+licence

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by fidav - 14 years ago

Didn't have to convert - just handed in the UK one and got a Monaco one. It's in the car - so will check about the A1 and the dates etc. What exactly does A1 mean? Is it a class for scooters?

Thanks again

Sorry no image available

If the Monaco licence doesn't include A1 and doesn't mention the date of original issue of the UK licence then you might be stuck.

Its the date of original issue that counts for the scooter

Did you have to convert the UK licence?  In France you only have to convert if you commit an offence so they can deduct points.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by fidav - 14 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I have a Monaco license that has been converted from a UK license. I have had the UK one for about 3 years and the Monaco one for about 1 year. Does that mean I can drive a scooter?

Sorry no image available

If you dont have an A1 licence, you need to have held a B (car) licence for 2 years to ride a 2-wheeler upto 125cc.

For 50cc, if you dont have a licence, you now need a "brevet" which is issued by a driving school after a basic 3 hour course.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by kubalee - 14 years ago

if you have an uk drivers license then you are allowed to ride up to  a 125cc mototbike.