DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

scrapping a German registered or unregistered car.

Posted by Jeniann-249134 - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jeniann-249134 - 5 years ago

Thank you all for your advice. We've found that someone has been stringing us along and after hiking around several Suzuki Garages have found that the steering needs to be replaced. Pipcob, the car is only lovely to me, it's a ten years old Suzuki Grand Vitara able to seat seven and still take tons of luggage. We have three adults, a child and two large dogs and now with a holiday home up in the Charente eating up all our spare cash we can't afford new transport. Such is life eh?

Sorry no image available
Posted by bsms06 - 5 years ago

HI TRY THE ENGLISH CAR MECHANICS IN OPIO

THEY HELPED ME WITH MY CAR

2 CHEMIN DES ROURES OPIO 04 93 77 26 73.

Sorry no image available
Posted by pipcob - 5 years ago

Hi there,

Maybe the best thing to do would be to contact a scrapyard ("la casse", or "demolition auto") directly and ask them?

When you say your car is "old and lovely", I hope it's old and horrible because it would be a terrible shame to scrap a classic car. There's a decent market in France for certain old cars, so you could also try advertising it for sale instead of scrapping it.

Despite so-called laws to the contrary, you can sell a car here on foreign plates, without the "CT (Controle Technique)", which is the same concept as the MOT in England (I've no idea what it's called in Germany though).

I do all my own work on my cars even though I'm not a mechanic, it's much cheaper, but I don't live in Nice yet (I'm still based in Saone et Loire) - I'm only here on holidays while I look for a place to live.

Good luck with it, and don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of any other help!

Phil