DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Sequence of insurance, CT, and ownership change

Posted by chmac7 - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Methuselah-217505 - 6 years ago

To clarify what I said earlier which was not entirely accurate!

You cannot register a car in the name of a new owner unless it has a valid CT. Nor can you drive it on the public road other than for the purpose of taking it to the CT. To sell a car without a CT by mutual agreement is legal but to continue using it is not.

The Prefecture is a public office which deals with administrative matters. If you Google : 'Prefecture de (your nearest town)' you will find all the information.

Sorry no image available
Posted by chmac7 - 6 years ago

Interesting. I understood that the ownership could be changed, but the vehicle would need to be "sold as parts" without a valid CT. Any idea if that will create any issues if I want to sell it in the future?

Not sure what the prefecture is, but I'll check that out and see about going there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Methuselah-217505 - 6 years ago

You can do a change of ownership/sale without a CT, as long as it is marked as such on the Carte Grise. That said, driving the vehicle without a CT obviously presents problems. Instead of relying on well-meant but often incorrect advice given here, why not simply go the Prefecture and ask them - usually they are very helpful.

Sorry no image available
Posted by GreenLeaf-314739 - 6 years ago

No, the CT will have to be valid (Pass) and be careful, you have 30 days from the signing of the documents to you to change the "carte grise" or they can label the vehicle as "junk" as they are trying to get all of the old cars off the road.

For the insurance, best to open the phone book (they are free) and/or pagesjuane.fr and/or the directory here on this site but it seems like the "english" speaking insurance companies have the obligation to try to screw you. Not all of them, but a big %. Or, even better, just walk into one, always the best way.

Sorry no image available
Posted by chmac7 - 6 years ago

Firstly, thanks for replying, I really appreciate the advice.

Ok, so I need insurance to drive to the CT, but maybe I can get temporary insurance for that. Any suggestions on where to get that?

I think I can change the ownership as soon as I get the CT done, whether it passes or not. So I'd need it insured for the drive to the place, could then do the change of ownership and get the new insurance for the drive back. Is it possible to get insurance without a valid CT?

Sorry no image available

Oh, also, any vehicle in France needs insurance. Even if it is just sitting in your garden. To be legal, you will need to remove the tires (put it on blocks). The reason behind this I guess if somebody steals it or it rolls into the street, etc....

So, maybe insurance first...

Sorry no image available

Without a CT less than 6 months old you cannot change ownership.

Call a insurance company and see if you can get insurance to drive it to the Control place of your choosing and then go online, Feuvert, Norauto, or the prefecture and change the registration.

So, CT first....