DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Speeding fine under a UK licence

Posted by MPlb-182376 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

There is no need to take a test when exchanging your EU licence, as is clearly explained if you follow the link I gave earlier.**************
Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dukeboy - 14 years ago

MPlb, what are you so worried about, surely it can't be that hard to sit a French licence. Don't seem to be too many rules applied or enforced when I've been out on the roads!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dukeboy - 14 years ago

MPlb, what are you so worried about, surely it can't be that hard to sit a French licence. Don't seem to be too many rules applied or enforced when I've been out on the roads!

Sorry no image available
Posted by NuttR - 14 years ago

I've got a UK license and was in the Prefecture in Nice last year getting my Carte de Sejour renewed.  I asked whether or not I needed to get my license changed and the lady went off for 20 minutes to check.  She confirmed that I don't need to get a French license as my UK one is already a European license (even though the address on it is completely wrong etc).  I also got a speeding fine last year and just paid the fee - they didn't take any points from me.  My Swedish and Irish colleagues tell me that they kept their original licenses too so as to avoid the points system.  I've had my license "controlled" a few times by the gendarmes and they've never had a problem with it either.

I've no idea how it works for non-EU licenses though.  I've heard horror stories about non-Europeans having to resit their driving tests...! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by mdcaprino - 14 years ago

We were able to exchange our Canadian licences in Grasse.  Way better than Nice.  Didn't have to wait in line all day.  Took about 5 minutes.  They issue you a temp licence and you get the full one about 3 weeks later.DnM

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

As far as I know, you can only change it at the Prefecture in Nice, near the airport.  I phoned them about replacing a stolen licence issued in Belgium and they were very helpful.

You need your licence, passport, 2 ID photos and a facture EDF, plus photocopies to be on the safe side.  Dont need a carte de sejour anymore.

It takes 2 or 3 weeks before you get it, so you might ask them what to do about the fine.  Maybe you should reply saying you have a UK licence, and then they write back and tell you to change it.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidn-184078 - 14 years ago

I got a speeding ticket and fine a while ago and was asked to send in a photo copy of my UK licence, and pay the fine. No action was taken over the point. I was not required to get a french licence.david n

Sorry no image available
Posted by MPlb-182376 - 14 years ago

Knackers!

I hope I don't they don't get snippy with me at the local Prefecture and make me take a French driving test.

Any idea how long they take to get a new French licence issued?

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

Assuming you are resident in France, you will need to exchange your UK licence for a French one and then the penalty point will be applied. It's covered here:

http://riviera.angloinfo.com/information/1/exlicence.asp

If you are not a French resident (despite owning a French-registered car) then I suspect it will all fall into a legislative black hole, but I can't swear to that...

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 14 years ago

From what I understand, you have to get a French License.