DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Speeding ticket

Posted by RuthR - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by volvoman-315998 - 6 years ago

I agree with above. I have a UK driving licence and have been flashed driving my UK plated car in France and heard nothing. However, I have heard things are going to change in the next year or so.

Also, I have been flashed in my French plated car and received a fine notification in the post. Paid the fine immediately "on line" and heard nothing since.

Just pay up and be done with it. After all, the cameras are just another tax and are for the revenue after all.

Sorry no image available
Posted by fireblade-309803 - 6 years ago

I agree...you just pay the fine (45e) and forget it, its highly unlikely it will ever be followed up.

I think you are stressing over something that will never happen..!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChB-184121 - 6 years ago

If you just pay it quickly, before the fine goes up in price, that will be that. You might have points allocated to you, but unless you start collecting more points they will not do anything. Assuming you do not habitually go speeding you will be fine. I have probably had 10-12 speeding fines on my UK license over the years and they never asked for my license yet.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ouch that hurt !-230853 - 6 years ago

I would just send, name, address & copy of friend's UK drivers licence, they might chase it up, but they might notwhy would you risk points on your own licence?

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 6 years ago

If you declare your friend as driver you'll be expected to provide full details - e.g. name, address, UK driving licence details but it is unlikely hat it will go any further although there may be some attempt to contact the friend (I know the German authorities went the extra mile to contact me and extract their fine when I was " the friend" and flashed in Germany).
If on the other hand you just pay the fine, then it'll probably stop right there as it is highly unlikely that the French authorities have any correlation between the French reg and your UK licence.
So there is a lot less follow-up if the fine is just paid. Given the rather small amount - seems to me to be a case of discretion being the better part of valour.

Sorry no image available
Sorry no image available
Posted by Ras-214972 - 6 years ago

It's probably not your decision to analyse what the legal procedure has to be. Probably best to just blindly follow the procedure without guessing how they are going to deal with. If the situation doesn't fit properly with how the authorities are used to dealing, that's their problem, not yours.
You were not the driver, your friend was. Regardless of his nationality/driving licence, you just declare he was the driver. As long as you do this in a timely manner, any delay arising is that of the procedure out of your control. Send anything in the post recommandé and just wait.

Sorry no image available
Posted by RuthR - 6 years ago

I made a mistake in my original message: it should say 117 km/h in a 110 km/h limit.