DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Taxis from Nice airport

Posted by Eric318 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0

Hello people,

I find taxis from Nice airport generally horrendously expensive. Does anybody know of alternatives?

Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by sathish_thoppay - 15 years ago

I am new to France. What is the best way to travel from Nice airport to villeneuve-Loubet. I would have two luggages. Could anyone direct a cheap, but decent hotel near Ave Jack Kilby,villeneuve-Loubet. Thanks for your help.sathish.thoppay@wipro.com

Sorry no image available
Posted by Andrew.Wilk - 15 years ago

Could there be a little French gallantry at work here? All I can say its rarely worked for me!

That said, I have seen unparalleled rudeness and indifference as shown by some of the French coach drivers. I recently took a bus from Nice to St Jean Cap Ferrat from the Gare Routier, and while the queue was only half  boarded, the driver decided it was time to go, slammed the door to the horror of a waiting half dozen would-be passengers, and drove off.

Prize-winning stuff....

Andrew

Sorry no image available
Posted by shining star - 15 years ago

Last week I had no alternative but to get a taxi from central Nice as I had 5 suitcases, a holdall and a laptop, and the driver was absolutely charming.  At my request he told me up front approx what the fare would be and then asked me my preferred route and chatted all the way.  He loaded and offloaded all my bags and was much more friendly than a London cabbie!  Maybe I was just lucky . . .

shining star x

Sorry no image available
Posted by Andrew.Wilk - 15 years ago

The special bus service 99 runs every half hour 8.00am - 8.00 pm between the Gare SNCF and the Airport, alterating with another that runs between  airport and the main the hotels on the Prom and Albert 1er gardens  terminating at the Gare Routier main bus station - fare Euro 3.50 one way, twenty minutes or less going to the airport and very reliable, more dependent on traffic conditions for the Centre journey.

The most price conscious is the route 23 stopping bus service which starts at St Maurice via Gare SNCF to the Airport terminal one, at the regular flat fare I think euro 1.40. But doesn't have any special luggage racks so you could get unpopular if heavily laden.

Forget the taxis. Happy travelling

Andrew

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

The voucher scheme does not apply to all destinations, also I've heard it has been discontinued.  It wouldn't have been in the interest of the dishonest, who by the way are the minority, taxi drivers.

Sorry no image available
Posted by feadship - 15 years ago

Just out of interest, if you do have to get a taxi buy a voucher at the Airport bus station vaild for your destination. This stops you being ripped off!

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

There's also a railway station (I think it is St. Augustin) within 10 minutes walk of the airport. Not a great solution if you have luggage!

Sorry no image available
Posted by feadship - 15 years ago

Friends are even cheaper!

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 15 years ago

Yes , the Bus Service !stgeorge