DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Temporary Car Insurance

Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

Might be difficult to insure a vehicle you dont own. In France the owner is supposed to keep a car insured even if it is off the road.  Maybe its easier to get a garage to take a look at it and put it through the CT? 

The garage might check things that the CT doesnt cover, like engine problems.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - 14 years ago

I did say "thinking of buying it and registering it in France." This is dependent on the result of the Controle Technique - if not he will find another buyer or I will assist him to find another buyer.  If I take up the minimum insurance cover (which is for a year) with my own insurance company and then cancel the insurance I am likely to lose at least a third or more  of the insurance cost.  The car is a Mercedes and even though it is quite old, insurance is quite high.  I just need enough insurance to get it to the Controle Technique Centre and home or back to him - i.e. 24/48hrs.  I could take a chance but it's sod's law that an accident is waiting to happen or M. Plod steps out in front of me ! I'm trying to do things right.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

Why do you want temporary insurance of you are going to register it and keep it?Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Ask the original owner to contact the insurance company with whom it was insured.  They may be prepared to issue a temporary cover note for 24 hours as they know the client/risk.

I doubt if any company will do this for an unknown or new client. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Star-193452 - 14 years ago

Try Axa Insurance on 04 93 96 93 13.  You can speak to Christina Wingfiled, she's English.  Don't know whether they do temporary insurance but it's worth a try.