DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Timed between barriers?

Posted by lob-189383 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Does anyone know if on sections of the peage where you use tickets, the gendarmes are allowed to demand to see your ticket at the pay station to see if you have been speeding.I seem to remember they were not - I ask since a friend in an English registered car was asked for the ticket although luckily he wasn't speeding.Thanks,Lob

Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by lob-189383 - 14 years ago

gordon

what a brilliant idea!  hadn't thought of that...

sarcasm off though - how many people do you actually see keep to the 70kph limit on some sections of the autoroute between monaco and nice?  i've lived here for 6 yrs and i don't think i've ever seen anyone keep to the limit (it's silly low anyway) and even the gendi's go through at about 100 keeping with the flow of the traffic.

anyway don't really want to get into a debate on the morality of driving fast - just wanted an answer to this question.

see ya

Sorry no image available
Posted by gordygrk2-184034 - 14 years ago

How about just sticking to the damn speed limit?

I get sick of people whinging about laws, that infringe on their so called rights!  If you don't speed, then you wont get fined........simple......eh?

You break the law......you suffer the consequenses. End of story.

Gordon

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

There is a convention among the EU states, and probably Switzerland and Norway as well.

http://www.eurogersinfo.com/actu4.htm

From what I hear, they dont yet have a automatic system for the radar pictures, but it should be in place sometime this year.  They may still send off a fine for serious speeding, even for the automatic cameras.

You shouldnt be fined twice, but I guess the home country may decide that the fine isnt high enough, and make up the difference.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by Squeezy-189941 - 14 years ago

I was with my French friend in her car when she was stopped for doing 145k in a 90 limit on a 5k straight with no junctions.  The gendarme confiscated her permis but luckily I could driver her home.  A Swiss driver was also stopped and it eventually turned out that the Swiss authorities fined him as well as the French - and a 3 month ban!  It seems tourists who get caught end up worse off.  Does this happen with the UK now?Dave

Sorry no image available

The problem is that they pop up out of nowhere just as you are about to put the ticket in the machine or give it to the toll-person.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by RJH-187583 - 14 years ago

You could hardly be prosecuted for 'losing' your ticket.

Sorry no image available

Recently the situation was that timing between barriers wasnt a valid method of measuring speed, because the clocks hadnt been officially calibrated and so on.

If you had a French car and they prosecuted anyway, you could appeal.  If you had a foreign car and they gave you an on the spot fine in theory you could appeal but it would probably be too much trouble.  At the moment it is only foreign cars that still speed on the motorway.

I am sure they have the right to see the ticket though and if you have been speeding they could give you a hard time.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by lob-189383 - 14 years ago

anyone? anyone?bueler?i think they could at one point but then this was had up by the european court for infringement on human rights - that's one good thing to come out of brussels...