DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Track Day at Ledenon

Posted by Tonty - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by christopherhogge - 14 years ago

Tonty/Jonathan,test rode the 2004 GSX-R 600 yesterday on the roads above Monaco....stunning. Quite different to my 2001 model...small,light , very powerful, comfortable and it brakes!! I was really very,very surprised at how much better it was than mine!Disregard what i said before and try one!!Chrisp.s. i will probably go out for a ride next monday April 5th if anyone is interested.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lob-189383 - 14 years ago

mooonzzaaa - it's an out and out power circuit.  in my relatively unpowerful road car it's a bit dull and very hard on the engine and brakes.  still a must to go there too - so much history about the place.  what corners there are are fun - particularly ascari and parabolica.

they used to do circulazione touristica open days for road cars - no idea about bikes i'm afraid.

Sorry no image available

Hi Jonathan,I have only ever had 600's and so cannot comment on the difference....apart from that the Gsx-r is a far more track orientated bike and yes it would make sense that it would turn quicker...but then again the most obvious thing to check is tyre pressure and suspension settings on the Kawasaki!I am quiet a lazy rider and get a bit hacked off at having to have the GSX-R at the rev limit...i think i would look at a 748 s(or R) Ducati...especially if it was for track use only...expense of upkeep would be a little scary though. Drop me a line if you are going to any more local track daysor just riding generally...has anyone checked out Monza??Chris

Sorry no image available
Posted by lob-189383 - 14 years ago

wjp - is that you Wayne? 

ledenon - top circuit and yes a bit far especially when you bend your suspension in the gravel trap and have no way to get home - doh!

the one up nr aix is grand sambuc?  i've not tried that circuit yet but hear it's not one you can make a mistake at as there is very little run off.

dijon is supposed to be absolutely fab.

lob

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tonty - 14 years ago

Dear Chris

Thank you I have checked out their web site and sent an e-mail enquiry with regard to cost etc. I think I remember seeing you at Ledenon, I was on the fully tweaked red Kawasaki, ie no mirrors or number plate; I felt really out of place, everyone putting tyre warmers on, custom made leathers etc..... I am interested in changing to a GSXR-600, I found my bike a bit cumbersome around the tighter corners (probably rider error!) I rode a GSX-R at the Suzuki School at Mallory Park, being led around by an ex GP rider, great fun, he was on a SV650 and he was still faster than me. I loved the bike, did not seem much slower on the straight than my ZX-9 but much quicker to turn and no wrestling involved when sudden changes of direction was required. Is this your experience?

Regards

Jonathan

Jonathan

Sorry no image available

Dear Jonathan,I was there the same day as you ...and yes it was good ....despite the wind and chilled fingers.Are you going to Ledenon with them again in June? I hope i can get there...work( a four letter word!)may get in the way BUT i have managed to book the Catalunya dates in October.Check out www.teamvegasports.com for details of well organized and professional days & track lessons at LE LUC. Have been with them several times and cannot recommend them highly enoughNext open day is Mai 31st.By the way i was the guy on the mainly black GSX-R 600 .possibly see you soon.Chris

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tonty - 14 years ago

You need a full licence either UK or French and bike insurance, though I suspect that it is invalid the second you get out of the pit lane. It took 3.5 hrs to get there by car and towing bike on trailer, I stayed up in Ledenon the night before, and drove back a tired but happy man after the track day.Jonathan

Sorry no image available
Posted by wjp-191185 - 14 years ago

PS I meant a race license - a UK road license is fine.

Sorry no image available
Posted by wjp-191185 - 14 years ago

Yeah thats a great track - my favourite  - a bit far to drive there and back in the one day with a whole day tracking it. Much more interesting than Le Luc and the one up in the hills near Aix (can never remember the name).

BTW you don't need a license - just insurance.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Blx-192106 - 14 years ago

How far was it to the track and were they OK with   a aUK licence? When is the next one

Chris