DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Trading in a U.S. driver's license

Posted by gofrance - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Hello. The Virginia DMV says it has an agreement for trading in driver's licenses here. Do you know where I do that? Is it at the prefecture and, if so, which department? If a license is about to expire, what does the prefecture do?

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by tkw - 14 years ago

Ah....Lucky for you, I guess consistancy has never been one of the great virtues of beaurocracy.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

quote:I have to disagree mike

I'm looking at my French licence, which was received in exchange for a GB licence in 2002

The licence is dated to when it was issued.

However, the individual categories for which it is valid (B1,B,C & D in my instance) are backdated to the date on which I first applied for a Carte de Séjour, while the licence also clearly states that it is the result of an exchange, with the issue date of the original (back in early mediaeval times...) clearly indicated.

Class A1 (the 125cc category) is not marked up on the main section, but is on the "circulation nationale" permissions page, and my permission to ride such vehicles is, again, backdated to the date on which I first applied for my Carte de Séjour.

So the evidence would appear to suggest that you can, indeed, ride 125cc bikes (in France) having immediately after exchanged your licence. At least I can, anyway... ;-)

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by tkw - 14 years ago

quote:

which means you are not allowed to drive 125cc scooters for 2 more years and most insurance companies will prefer to believe you are a new driver quote:You can drive 125cc bikes from Day 1, and I'm not aware of insurance companies behaving in this manner. In fact, my insurance company has never asked to see my licence, before or after it became a French one...

I have to disagree mike, if your EU license is only class B (regular cars) you cannot drive 125cc bikes until 2 years after the date of issue. When you trade in a non-EU license for an EU one they will automatically change the date of issue to today. But I suppose one could try and argue with them to back-date the issue date.

For insurance, I suppose the company can just believe that you have had insurance and a license or they can ask for proof. Ever since I have come to france I have had to get at least 10 different attestations to 'prove' various things. I didn't even know what an attestation was before I got here (except in some obscure english legal sense). My advice is get letters from every insurance company, showing how long you have driven claims free or you are going to be paying more. Heck get a letter from your family saying you drove their car for 5 years...they'll even accept that.

grrrrr.. no trust in this world.

Sorry no image available

In a word: yes. It needs updating...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Colombe-190374 - 14 years ago

So that means that the french embassy page thats linked to

the Anglo info page is incorrect?

Sorry no image available

quote:I'm not sure which list is accurate

Um... neither, actually - the accurate list includes both Virginia and New Hampshire. AngloINFO's INFOrmation page on the matter has been updated accordingly...

Sorry no image available

quote:Pease note you only have one year after your date of arrival to trade your license

Yup - and after a year, a non-EU licen(c/s)e aactually ceases to be valid for driving in France. If you drive after this time, you're unlicenced, uninsured and so on.

However, the Ministry of the Interior can exchange your non-EU licence after the one-year window is over, although it is not obliged to do so. Anecdotal evidence (with some personal experience) suggests that late applications via the Nice Préfecture from citizens of countries that have the exchenge agreement in place are generally treated sympathetically.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by Colombe-190374 - 14 years ago

I looked at the link at the us embassy I couldn't see Virginia

being listed I did see New Hamphire which isn't on tour list.

I'm not sure which list is accurate

Sorry no image available
Posted by DMG-194481 - 14 years ago

Pease note you only have one year after your date of arrival to trade your license. After that you if have'nt done it, you have to be retested again.

Sorry no image available

quote:Wow, does that work also for California?

No. As is explained here, the states with an exchange deal are:

Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky. Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginiaquote:which means you are not allowed to drive 125cc scooters for 2 more years and most insurance companies will prefer to believe you are a new driver

You can drive 125cc bikes from Day 1, and I'm not aware of insurance companies behaving in this manner. In fact, my insurance company has never asked to see my licence, before or after it became a French one...

quote:you will first need a notarized translation of your license.

From a court-approved translator. Budget €75. Full details are here:

http://riviera.angloinfo.com/information/1/exlicence.asp**************
Mike