Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


UK Car Tax with French Insurance

Posted by Marcello-279936 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kentish maid-243236 - 4 years ago

Technically if your French insurance company is on the DVLA list, the answer is yes (there is one company here that boasted of getting on the list, but I am not sure if they made it). But even if this is the case, you will not be able to do it online, because the DVLA only hold information from the British insurance companies.

If your car has an MOT, why do you need a CT, because it will not be valid unless you are importing it into France and then, why do you need to Tax your car if you are going to bring it into France?

You normally need RHD headlights, although I have heard that some CT centres may accept LHD headlights with proper deflectors fitted on the glass.

However, you will need to get a Cetificate of Conformity before you can get a CT done.

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 4 years ago

re the tax, probably not because if it isn't insured with a UK insurer, as far as DVLA is concerned it isn't insured, so it's very unlikely you'd be able to tax it online. Also, watch out for an automatic fine from DVLA for having an uninsured vehicle being sent to the registered address.

re the headlamps, that is entirely up to the CT station who do the test, they will test the lights and if they consider that beams are within the acceptable limits they will pass it and not, they won't. You can change the lights first if you want to be sure, or can have it tested and wait to see what happens. Basically It depends on what car it is and whether or not you can adjust the lights sufficiently.