Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


UK drivers licence

Posted by green_eyes - Created: 7 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChB-184121 - 7 years ago

When you exchange your UK licence for a local one, the original is sent back to Swansea by the french authorities, so if you later tried to get a duplicate you would be refused. The only way would be to declare it lost first, hand in the replacement in exchange and keep the original one. But you cannot then use this in the UK as it has already been reported as lost, so you are a bit stuck. The Police have told me that it is possible to get a european international license that would be valid in all EU countries, but so far they have failed to tell me where from, just "we'll try to find out, come back in a couple of weeks".

Floridian, what happens when you are back in the States with your French license, is it valid everywhere? or just in the states that have an agreement?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Floridian-312987 - 7 years ago

DVLA (the licensing authority in the UK) is for residents of the UK, if you are not a resident of the UK, they tell you to get a license from the country in which you are a resident.

So Ras, is your resident address at your mums? Are you living there more than 180 day a year? Sounds like fraud to me.

I luckily come from a state that I could just exchange my license, very simple to do and with it comes peace of mind that if I am ever in an accident, my insurance company will not try to find a way not to pay out..

Happy Safe Driving

Sorry no image available
Posted by Floridian-312987 - 7 years ago

Article 7(5) Directive 91/439/EEC clearly stipulates that no person may hold a driving licence from more than one Member State. This includes withdrawn licences.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ras-214972 - 7 years ago

I am sure I read somewhere that in the next year or two, it will be possible to get an official EU wide driving licence.
I am resident here and have still a UK licence (registered at my parents address), I've been involved in an accident (luckily minor) and had no problem with the insurance claim.
You do need to keep your UK licence current, the photo card part expires every 10 years.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Methuselah-217505 - 7 years ago
Sorry no image available
Posted by musky-211885 - 7 years ago

Floridian thanks for your advice which I think contradicts your own previous posting on this subject. I was in fact involved in an accident a few years back, no insurance or police problems as everything was valid and legal. Unless that has recently changedAccording to EU license regulations I am driving legally.I will however check all of this again with the French and UK bodies on Monday in case the numerous times I have enquired I have been misinformed. On looking at the websites this morning I am still seeing the same information already told to me by the professionals.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Floridian-312987 - 7 years ago

@musky - Wait till you have an accident and your insurance will not cover it because you are a resident here without a legal license

You are quoting - DVLA - a UK gov organization. The pretty blue EU on your license means only you do not need an international license as most Americans need to drive in foreign countries (the EU).

This is from their website -

If you permanently move to another country, you can’t register your new address on your British driving licence. You’ll need to contact the driving licence authority in your country of residence. You are required to change your picture (every 10 years) and address when you move.

So, I think if you are "living" here, your EC UK license is null en void.

Happy "illegal" Driving

OH, if you really want the answer, just contact the Procureur de la République as he/she will be the one you face when they charge you with driving without a legal license.

Here is the number - Tribunal de grande Instance de Nice

Sorry no image available
Posted by musky-211885 - 7 years ago

Have UK license and been stopped on routine checks many at time, with different information being provided by the police. Sometimes in a bullying nature that I must have French licence. At the end of the day EU license is valid in France no matter how long you have lived here otherwise it would havent EU stamped on it. Confirmation from DVLA when questioned.I was caught speeding one time and I am pretty sure I understood on the notification that points would be awarded 56 in a 50 kph limit. However paid immediatley online and heard nothing more of it. Still driving happily along with UK licence.
Happy drivingkathy

Sorry no image available
Posted by GAnthony - 7 years ago

Thinklucky, I believe that when you apply for a French driving license, they will expect you to give them your UK license, which they will then keep. That is what happened to us several years ago. I guess you can then apply to the UK for a replacement (lost) license if you wish to hold both. Good luck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by thinklucky - 7 years ago

Reading postings - is it possible to hold both a French one AND a UK one to solve possible problems flagged either side of the channel????