DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

UK Motorists : Break French laws at your peril

Posted by MikeP-180526 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

I don't want to breach copyright by quoting chunks from it,  but there is a very comprehensive and informative article in this week's Travel Telegraph about the zero tolerance approach which the French police are adopting to non-French motorists breaking the law.

The full article can be found here,  but you may have to register (free) to read it.

http://travel.telegraph.co.uk/travel/main.jhtml?xml=/travel/2004/07/19/etfront1807.xml&sSheet=/travel/2004/07/21/ixtrvhome.html

Anyone who is driving a non French registered vehicle should be aware of the contents of this article, or better still, 

stick to the law, especially with regard to speeding.

Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

Zazou

I popped in to the Jersey Licencing Department where they told me that without any shadow of doubt, a Jersey d/l can be exchanged for a French one (but does not need to be exchanged).  The lady said that as far as she was aware the same would apply to Guernsey licences.

However she was not able to give me any piece of paper or reference to confirm this,  so I think you will just have to argue it out with your prefecture.  Good luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by Zazounice - 13 years ago

Dear Mike

I should be grateful if you would be able to find out for me.  I sometimes find speaking to civil servants here a little difficult as they seem impatient for you to get to the end of a sentance and either talk over you or assume they know the question and give you the answer to a question that you haven't asked. 

Enjoy Jersey and many thanks if you can find the time to answer this question.

Merci and bon vacance

Zazou Nice

Sorry no image available

I don't think it's so much a question of getting indignant when they get fined for breaking the law.  It is rather that they don't agree with the laws,  if, for example they feel that a 60 kph limit on a particular road is inappropriate,  or if they are fined for parking in restricted zone whilst other cars have been parked there for hours and aren't ticketed.  Or when fines are used for revenue collection rather than enforcing safety.

My particular gripe is seeing that people are fined for exceeding a motorway speed limit by a few kph, whilst other nutters get away literally with murder by dangerous overtaking on small twisting roads where there are never police.  Speed is irrelevant in such cases.

Or the noisy motor scooters which not only plague the countryside and towns with their racket, but are also used in the commission of crimes,  but because they are not registered are untraceable and unaccountable.

You got me started .... you shouldn't have. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by nice cuppa tee - 13 years ago

It baffles me the way motorists get so indignant when they get fined for breaking the law. Imagine if burglars were to start complaining "I only nicked a few quid and the guy is loaded - what's the harm in that?". Or if murderers were to complain "the bloke I killed was 65 - he only had a few years left anyway - what's the harm in that?"

Sorry no image available

Zazou

I don't know,  but as it happens I am going to Jersey next week and I would imagine I could easily find out there.  If so,  I'll let you know.  However the Prefecture shoud be able to tell you something. 

I am very ignorant about EU affairs (result really of Euroscepticism and disinterest) but I thought the EC no longer existed and was the old name for the EU. But you are correct,  CI are not part of the EU - that I do know.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Zazounice - 13 years ago

Dear Mike

You seem to be very knowledgeable regarding the law issues and on the subject of driving I wondered if you could answer a couple of questions for me.

Guernsey, Channel Islands is not part of the EU, but the EC.  If one has a Guernsey driving license what would be the law regarding exchanging this for a European or French driving license?

Secondly, if this can be exchanged, how long would one have to have held that license in order to exchange it.

I would much appreciate if you could help me on this.

Many thanks

Zazou Nice