DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Urgent! Scrapping English reg car info required

Posted by JW-191405 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

I have just bought a french car as my English registered Volvo is now no longer legal here and I wish to dispose of it. Although still in good running order I did not feel it was worth spending money on to keep it here. I wish to scrap it but the local scrap yards are not prepared to take it because the paperwork is a problem as it is registered in UK. Does anyone know how I can get rid of it? If anyone can make use of it they can have it free. I need to get rid of it URGENTLY within the next 2 weeks. HELP!!

Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by JW-191405 - 14 years ago

After contacting the British Consulate in Marseilles, the local Prefecture and the DVLA in UK and spending 24 hours having a near nervous breakdown, I called another friend who had UK reg cars here some years ago.  He simply said "Try another scrapyard" - which I did!  They filled in a form, gave me a copy which would normally go to the local prefecture if French reg - and I simply detached the bottom portion of the UK Log Book - which he stamped and am posting it back to UK in the normal way which is all the DVLA said is required.  So if you have problems just find another scrapyard.  I didn't get any money for the car but they did remove my nearly new battery and return it to me.  All done very efficiently and politely.  JWJW

Sorry no image available

It is a Volvo 340 DL year 1989 with only 95,000 miles on the clock.  Brand new battery and good tyres.  UK MOT expired end October.  I am happy to give it away but I am based in Argeles near Perpignan so it would need to be collected from here.  JWJW

Sorry no image available

Yes it is the small hatchback which still has a good bit of life in it.  Is the person a UK citizen because I could only transfer the log book to them if so? JWJW

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChB-184121 - 14 years ago

you might find that someone will take it for spares if you give the model/year etc If it is the small hatchback, like a honda civic, I know someone with a rather tired one who might take it off you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by irishman-180738 - 14 years ago

This thread discusses some information regarding the disposal of UK registered Swedish cars on the French Riviera.