DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

A wireless Sky system ??

Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by simonwynne - 13 years ago

Interesting

Sky are prone to blocking english ads abroad and have to by law but not so much for the programmes maybe a new type of receiver for abroad that kicks a slide in during breaks.

...sky news on NC is notorious when they have [too] many breaks and slot in those same trails...

the other is that there are some pirates around making money so be wary, its a clever way but once its closed down you could loose everything. If one does go down this route pay cash ONLY!!!! they could be grateful for your card number....as well...

no wonder wifi is slow on the take off...

Simonice

Sorry no image available
Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

I managed to find it after a bit of a trawl through and if I have time later will post the exact link.  However it works basically as I thought, although these guys go into highly technical details.  It is of course illegal and the Spanish police have closed down several of the operations and arrested the operators (something I find a little surprising but can only assume they were under pressure from Sky).

Sorry no image available
Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - 13 years ago

Got fed up with looking through - can you more specific as to where in the forums we can satisfy our curiosity. Thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by ian81-188951 - 13 years ago

Mike -if you want to satsfy your curiosity try looking at the forums on http://www.satellites.co.uk/

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

As a matter of curiousity, do you mean that the operator is picking up Sky and then rebroadcasting it locally via a terrestrial signal? 

If so,  it sounds like a very high risk and high cost operation for small gain unless they served a large community in a small geographical area.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Old Brit - 13 years ago

The Spanish authorities have just shut down a similar illegal operation that used an aerial and modified receiver to get Sky transmissions. It's been done before and it always gets closed down so the punter loses his money and the perpetrators usually end up in a Spanish prison. I'm amazed they carry on risking it!Sky is not licensed to transmit to Spain so it's obviously not possible for them to sub-license anyone else. That makes it illegal.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Penney-180939 - 13 years ago

I will let you know all about it on Wednesday when its fitted. and mail you

P

Sorry no image available
Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - 13 years ago

Thanks Tony! but no digibox ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

Isnt Sky satellite reception wireless then?Tony