DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

advice on picking up english channels

Posted by IrishLiam - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

Hi,

Can anyone advise me on the best way to get some english channels out here. Is the best option to buy a dish and try and tune it to Astra? Or is there a french network like TPS which will give me the channels ?

Whats the best option?

Thanks....

Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Old Brit - 13 years ago

quote:For some reason which I can't fathom, the signal amplifier does nothing whatsoever at the LNB end, and loves it at the reciever end. I suspect that the power drop off over the cable length is not powering it well enough.id=quote> There won't be any significant voltage drop over the cable - bear in mind that the LNB itself wouldn't work if there was! (I'm using an LNB amplifier for my distribution system running at just 8 volts). In general, amplifier placement is a black art. If the signal from the LNB is very high then placing an amplifier directly after it won't help. If the cable is very long then placing the amplifier at the receiver won't help because most of the signal has been lost from the cable and it's amplifying the noise a well as the weak signal. So the best position (in theory) would be half way along the cable at about 40 metres. But, as I wrote, it's a black art, so position it where it gives the best result.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 13 years ago

Hi Janet,My particular setup is English language only, using a Skydigi box and Astra at 28.2 deg. Your TPS/Canal is on a different satellite and being fed channels solely for the French market.We're talking about receiving the UK packages in France.You could add a 2nd LNB (pickup) to your dish and add a s/h SkyBox which would give you a choice of the Canal + Sky channels. Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jannet-197465 - 13 years ago

Hi folks

This is exactly the problem I wanted to post, so I'll just jump in here.  My specific needs are just children's stations.  We have the Canal Satellite and TPS setup, which has lots of channels in original language, including Cartoon Network.  But we are going crazy with Disney and Foxkids where everything is dubbed.  Is all your advice appropriate for this problem?

I'll give it a try.  Thanks  much for more ideas.

Janet

Sorry no image available

I'm running 88m of cable to keep the dish well into our forest and not on the roof of our 17th century Bastide.

For some reason which I can't fathom, the signal amplifier does nothing whatsoever at the LNB end, and loves it at the reciever end. I suspect that the power drop off over the cable length is not powering it well enough.

Just my set-up.

Sorry no image available

Hi DL,

I just completed a set-up so I'll recount it in the event that it saves you some heartache.

Everything that DavidL says is absolutely correct and mine went like this:

Second Hand Sky DigiBox and NO viewing card plus Second hand  dish from Mike here on AI (god bless 'im).

Go to Leroy Merlin and buy the dish (mine is 85cms), also there you will find a Satellite finder (E57.00 with visual and audible alerts and a signal amplifier E48.00).

Buy cable in one long length, like 50m or 100m and several screw fittings (ends), this is so that you never have to join a cable. You will also need to make up short lengths for the Sat Finder and the amplifier, so buy a pack of 6 ends at least.

If you haven't already got 2 x 13mm spanners get them too.

Fit the dish properly, I mean proper wallbolts, brackets etc, a dish that's not solid is a pain to say the least.

The sat finder will save you a full day of guessing and going up and down to the dish, there is no better way, unless you want a load of wires and extension leads for both DigiBox and TV up there with you. If you choose this route you will be frustrated anyway because the DigiBox takes a couple of minutes to recognise a perfect signal.

When the signal is perfect, place the amplifer (necessary above 15m of cable length) at the Digibox end, not at the satellite.

From an Irish point of view here's what you get with NO card at all in the Box:

BBC 1,2,3,4 all good. Sky News, BBC News 24, Fashion TV, CNN, Motors TV, a couple of dodgy music channels, Extreme sports, Movie Soundtrack channel (not bad), and a plethora of chinese Indian, shopping, God and the like.

Sky News interactive is good because you can call up Sky News Ireland with the lovely Grainne Ni Seoige.

You'll also get 100's of radio stations including RTE 1, 2FM, Lyric, etc etc.and all the BBC's, Capital Radio London and so on.

As DavidL says, no subscription, that's all there is and it's yours.

If you need help gimme a shout.

Regards,

Mike