DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Astra 2F

Posted by Macha-874034 - Created: 7 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 21 to 30)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Flamingo-205057 - 7 years ago

mcgreen, macha,

How is the reception on the Five channels and 4HD now that they have moved to Astra 2F.  I have (what I think !) is a well aligned 80cms dish and I sometimes lose reception of these channels in the evening now.

I'm debating whether to upgrade to 1m or go really future proof (for 2E next year) and install a 1.2m dish.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Macha-874034 - 7 years ago

Hi,

It's rather strange today - all signals have increased in strength.

The 1N signals are all - well mostly - lighting up the Hummy SQ bars 100/100

The 11023H is showing SQ 100/75.

I suppose it's atmospherics - but I don't ever remember seeing such strong signals before.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mcgreen - 7 years ago

Rigged up a 90cm dish to test and had no problems yesterday well into the evening with picture quality on 8911. So based on the current scenario looks like we will still be OK with 90cm dish providing it is well aligned but it is only testing at the moment so not a guaranteed prophecy.

Sorry no image available

mcgreen - That's all very useful information - thank you.

The dish here is a 90cm "inherited" with the house. It's probably not optimally aligned and the LNB is held in place with sticky tape - the clip is broken. So you can see there's room for improvement there :)

My 11023H signal reappeared again this morning with the sun and SQ of 75/60.

My next move will be to venture onto the roof and tweak both alignment and LNB twist. I guess what's happening is as the signal drops to around 50% strength it loses lock and effectively vanishes.

As far as I can make out, all other tps are still on 1N.

Sorry no image available

11023 has been fine all evening with me, again reports from around Europe do seem to confirm your expereinces, declining signal as the day progresses. Unfortunatly my satellite meter only works with the non HD signals and until they move a non HD transmission to 2F I will not be able to get detailed information for this area. Hopefully I can find time today to try a couple of smaller (90cm) dishes on the HD signal and see if they work with my receiver. If they do work then you might be able to solve your problem with a dish realign. I think it is clear a well aligned dish is going to be important, and possibly an increase in size. We will know more in a few days

Sorry no image available

Sorry mcgreen, also meant to ask what your 11023H signal is like afternoon/evening?

Sorry no image available

I'm finding that the 11023H signal is OK up until about 13:00, then it suddenly disappears.

Sorry no image available

Macha, Just east of Grasse and have a 1m dish, can get 8911 and it is watchable, on my STB the "old" BBC / ITV etc gave 100% for both quality and strength. With the 2F signal strength is down at 65% quality flicking between 99% and 100%.  So at the moment looks OK however from what I am reading on the Sat forums the folks in UK are reporting the 2F signal is stronger than current signals so there may be a reduction in strength in the fine tuning once they have it up and running. Have a 1.5m dish on order just in case. 

Sorry no image available

Thanks for the reply.

Reports suggest that this weekend will see a big migration from 1N to 2F, so I spent some time today  checking reception from 2F. 

First information from sat forums was about a 2F transponder at 11023H - carrying a migrated BBC HD ex-1N transponder - so I scanned it. It picked up two channels 8611 and 8601 with very low strength and a badly pixelated picture.

So - assuming this was going to be representative of the "new world", I wondered about reception reports from experimenters in 06, because it seemed pretty poor hereabouts - 83.

Early indications suggest that spillover from the UK spot beam is badly attenuated in an easterly direction, so we may well be scuppered for continued Freesat reception in 06/83 without a bigger dish - 1.2m has been suggested.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Softail - 7 years ago

More info please, what channels are you trying to scan etc