DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

BBC on a Sky Satellite - en panne?

Posted by michael and kate - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Old Brit - 14 years ago

quote:We called the BBC Free to Air line, and they confirmed that the cards will become redundant mid Julyid=quote>According to the BBC web site press release, the pale blue cards will be turned off in August but the dark blue ones with a yellow house design will work for the forseeable future.http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/dsat_card_index.shtml

Sorry no image available

quote:We have a 60cm dish, hooking up to the Astra 2D Satellite, via a SKy box and a BBC Free to Air card (about 1 year old).  Recently its stopped working - that is we can still get the TV guide to see what's on, but we can't actually watch it!id=quote>There's no such thing as a "Free To Air" card (for obvious reasons). You mean a FTV (Free To View) "Solus" card which, by the way, are no longer being issued! This means that, if you change your Digibox for another, you can not get your FTV card paired to the new box. So keep that old box going! Keep it cool.Loss of BBC programmes has been common even in the UK and is often caused by poor dish alignment. Try pushing the LNB up/down, left/right just a fraction and see if the signal returns.

Sorry no image available

quote:&gt1; Hi, I had the same problem despite being well within the "footprint"&gt1; of the new BBC digital services (Central Brittany) however, all is&gt1; not lost!! Try this, it works for me every time. Bring up the Beeb&gt1; channel you want to watch via the menu then, if there is nothing,&gt1; use your digibox remote to put in 105 (Channel 5) and when this&gt1; appears, put in the number (101 or 102 etc) of the BBC channel you&gt1; want to look at and Lo!! Hopefully.id=quote>What you describe here is a faulty Panasonic Digibox so your "cure" won't work for anyone else. Your faulty Panasonic Digibox requires a panafix2d filter from satcure.com.

Sorry no image available
Posted by devil's advocate - 14 years ago

Has anybody upsized an existing dish to receive BBC and ITV since they changed the footprint?   If so,  how much did you pay?

Thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pam Morton-188572 - 14 years ago

Great news as you said!   I had no idea the cards were going to be phased out but will certainly try what you suggest.   The whole thing is a pain really,isn't it?

Cheers!

Pam

Sorry no image available
Posted by michael and kate - 14 years ago

We called the BBC Free to Air line, and they confirmed that the cards will become redundant mid July - so no use ordering a new one.  However, they suggested the following.... and it worked!!

Turn off the Sky box, take out the card, take out the plug.  Leave it for 5 mins, then plug it all back in again, and hey presto, it worked for us!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by carrington-181725 - 14 years ago

For some reason my card dosen't work either,ever since i stuck the new sky card in it..Apparently i have to get an updated one in much the same way as what Sky done..However i've also read ( July issue of What tv and sat magazine) that all the solus cards or ftv cards issued by the BBC will be turned of later in the year should the Beeb go free to air??;Does anyone know anymore about this?

If you can't find any 80cm dishes or bigger locally,best bet is to order them or anything else sat related for that matter via mail order otherwise most of the outfits around here will bleed you dry.

Sorry no image available

Hello again,

The Beeb's website BBCi has a lot of info about digital tv, boxes etc.   just follow the links to "Digital TV".

Pam

Sorry no image available

Pam

Sorry no image available
Posted by SirLurkalot - 14 years ago

I was looking for large dishes in Castorama last week and I couldn't find anything larger than 80cm there.  I understand that the dish size you want to pick up the BBC these days is 90cm or 100cm, and well aligned, so I don't think you can buy the wok you need at Casto any more.  No doubt there are other places to buy a 100cm, which other people will know more about than me.