DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Can't believe it...is this normal

Posted by hammojs - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by nice cuppa tee - 13 years ago

It's just the free market at work. F1 viewing figures have never been high in France, and presumably even lower given the dullness of this season.

Normally Bernie has clauses in his contracts with TV companies that they show every race in the season in its entirety, and live. It's indicative of the diminishing appeal of F1 that he can no longer call the shots on this..

Sorry no image available
Posted by hammojs - 14 years ago

Dear all

Thanks folks for your comments and has contributed to my insight as to how thinks tick over here and I am a quest so I'm not complainining (clenched teeth).

I was more surprised than angry that the race was cut off 9 laps before the end .At least could follow the final minutes with the streaming commentry on the GP Official website.

I wonder if same approach would have been taken if there had been a French speaking driver and/or a Renault in the lead???

For the record couldn't get into Waynes bar (Vieux Nice)but saw the match in King's Bar next door (with difficulty  5' 7''!). Must get my blood pressure checked after all this!!!

Regards to you all!   Jim

Sorry no image available
Posted by Runaway-182887 - 14 years ago

Just looked on the BBC website - Williams and Toyota have been disqualified which means that Jenson Button is promoted to third - do you think we can have a 're-count' on the football now? J

xx

Sorry no image available

PS.  Forgot to add that Johnny Herbert and his team also only got a 2nd place at Le Mans but it was a good race despite that.

All in all, not a great day for English sport ;-(

xx

Sorry no image available

Jenson Button did come fourth though - a little disappointing but par for the course today, Dario Franchetti came 2nd in the Indy cars after securing pole, Hodgson and McWilliams came nowhere as usual in the Moto GP, Toesland and Walker a similar story in the World Superbikes - and I won't even mention the football !!!!

Sorry to hear about you losing the last 9 laps, very frustrating to say the least..... sounds like something Eurosport used to be good at!!!  I thought we had it bad in the UK with ITV sticking adverts into the screening of the G.P.'s which drives me NUTS!!  they don't flipping well do it in football and I'd love to know why they get preferential treatment.

xx

Sorry no image available
Posted by yjme-181229 - 14 years ago

Who usually wins all these races?! It was 'im again. With little brother in second place.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Josplas - 14 years ago

How did the race end anyway ?jos

Sorry no image available
Posted by reinrev5 - 14 years ago

Yes I quite agree cutting the race 9 laps for the end is something typically French, just to satisfy the record low level of voters that turned up I suppose.

A bit the same sort of thing as 100 odd people participating in a demonstration that creates problems for thousands of others. This goes under the French ideas of freedom of speech/expression, for the 100 that is, the thousands don't seem the have any rights?

Reinrev 

Sorry no image available
Posted by yjme-181229 - 14 years ago

Terrible for you (no I mean it, I'd have been the same if they cut off some tennis final).....think you know now how serious the French are about their political status in Europe!