DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Configuration to receive BBC

Posted by James Morgan - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

I am trying to set up my digital recevier to pick up BBC.  I can pick up Astra 2A but I can't seem to configure it for the BBC channels which are on Astra 2D.

I presume that this is the same satellite just a different frequency.

I bought the £99 deal at Leroy Merlsin where you get a dish and receiver.  the unit is a Systec and it seems pretty good.  The pictures are clear and instructions good but I can't figure out how to get BBC 1-3 etc.

Any advice ?

Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by James Morgan - 13 years ago

Thanks to both of you for the recent replies.

I have entered the frequency and symbol rates in and the transponder appear to do a scan but comes up with nothing.  The trouble is that I am not sure whether I am doing the right thing.  Although the on screen guide is in English it is still not particularly clear.  I have looked up Systec (the brand that Leroy Merlin are selling) on the web and it seems to be a Japanese company and there is not much help on thier site.

My thinking is that if I was sure that it was retaining the settings for Astra 2d then at least I could determine a signal strength even before scanning for channels.

The hunt goes on ...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Old Brit - 13 years ago

The LNB "skew" (rotational position) is more critical for Astra 2D. Set it for best signal quality by entering the parameters for a BBC bouquet (into the secret "Manual Tuning" menu if using a Sky Digibox).This page shows you how. Ignore the fact that it's referring to a quad LNB.http://www.satcure.com/tech/page10.htm

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 13 years ago

And to add to that - if you have to add the extra channels the Lyngsat website I posted should have all the relevant info needed in order to programme the channels.Google is our friend. Reboot sky boxes to fix most problems

Sorry no image available

Sorry, wasn't enitrely clear in my previous post. 2D is a different sat in the same cluster so theoretically it should be in the same place as far as your dish is concerned.

IIRC it is actually a fraction further east but don't quote me on that. If any movement has to be done at all it really will be just the tiniest of fractions. Realistically they both are at 28.2deg east (of due south). (obviously do not confuse these with the earlier Astra 1 sat at 19deg east).

If you have a sig meter on your digital box and can set it for a transponder you could line it up with that or use a sat buzzer (available from larger supermarchés) to obtain the max signal you can from 28.2deg east.

Sorry no image available
Posted by James Morgan - 13 years ago

David, thanks for the reply.  If I have my satellite trained on 2a in which direction do i move to pick up 2d ?

I do have an 80cm dish.  The software on the receiver does not list Astra2d as an option so I suppose I need to configure it.

James

Sorry no image available

2d and 2a are different sats in the same cluster. You have to be very accurate for 2d with a dish of preferably 80cm to get a good signal. 2d is more focussed on Northern europe.

Frequencies should be found here http://www.lyngsat.com/astra2d.html

Google is our friend. Reboot sky boxes to fix most problems