DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

English Version films

Posted by Snowman-185063 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by bones-182916 - 15 years ago

MJC Picaud in Cannes la Bocca is showing "The Soul of a Man" (Wim Wenders) in VO from Wednesday this week if anyone is interested. It's on the main road out of Cannes towards la Bocca.Tel: 0493 06 29 90

Sorry no image available
Posted by Shuba - 15 years ago

Maybe so Danonimes, but The Sound of Music will always remain a classic.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

English has become the unofficial world language and any person will benefit learning it. I agree movies are a great way to learn and I am grateful I did and would also never give up my mother tongue.

Sorry no image available
Posted by danonimes-184717 - 15 years ago

any chance of a translator? Personal preference, VO for all films.My local cinema rarely has more than 9 people in for any film, in any language. Long live the support of the Conseil Regionale.snowman, "...France was one of the Worst countries in Europe to speak English..."Why should anyone, including the French, NEED to speak English, in France?Shuba, The Sound of Music is pretty dire in VO anyway.dano "Over narrow counting culzies no kindnesse" - Scottish proverb(http://www.blackmask.com/books111c/scprvdex.htm)

Sorry no image available
Posted by simonwynne - 15 years ago

Admin any chance of spell check on this site !!!!Simonice

Sorry no image available
Posted by simonwynne - 15 years ago

Peronally the Rialto cinema in Nice is the best and central, most of us get in for 5e, which is a lot cheaper than old blighty.....Ncabel offer kiosk movies for about 3e90 or 5e90 depend on which studio its come from...they are in vo execpt weds and Sats for the reason of french footy in vf..i!!!..its argue mentitive subject about the footy cause I personally its something I dont like....plus there's enough space to for more channels anyway...also do offer canel sats movie channels in VM diffused in VF and VO with sous tritre [ when they remember to...sometimes vo stuff ends up shown just french then half way through clunks in to vo.....nice...

The sound side of the cinemas is somewhat debatable, I am into Dolby and have a system packed up for the mo due to present space restrictions...the dolby in the Rialto is there but they hardly us it properly...when movie makers make movies they do take into account the concept of sound using dolby that does add to enjoyment of any movie....I have watched some movies in the Rialto in mixed down mono seriously losing visual aspect..... mias alor....I saw chicago in mono and it sounded rubbish...now its on DVD I'll wake up our neighbours in Italy....

We are in a country where we are bound to understand locals and there langauge, I enjoy the ambience no where else to found on this planet.

life on the cote d'azur

Simonice

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 15 years ago

Spain also dubs everything on TV, but for awhile they experimented with making the original soundtrack available on the radio for some of the major films being shown, allowing you to turn down the TV volume to listen on your radio. Not surprisingly, Spain also has major problems with people speaking English in spite of it being taught in schools, while in countries such as Belgium I've known people who claimed to have learned English simply by watching TV since they were children.

One of the things that annoys me most of all when watching dubbed films is how they make child actors sound weird--particularly since I imagine them being dubbed by a middle-aged woman trying to sound cute. Also, it seems that you hear the same voices over and over in all the films. I don't know how many "dubbing actors" there are in France, but in Spain there was a limited number, so there wasn't much variety in the voices from film to film.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by Shuba - 15 years ago

The worst ever was when on Canal Satellite they dubbed, The Sound of Music in to French, lyrics and all, not even offering the choice of the VO.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The truth though about all the cinemas offering VO, is that they are more often than not, nearly empty. I shall not be surprised if they change over to dubbing, since these cinemas must run at a loss.

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 15 years ago

I personally hate dubbing and prefer to see films in VO whatever that language is. I find it an insult to the actors vocal performance and also hate it when lip synch is out (being an AV tech I suppose I notice these things more?). However, the French will disagree and enjoy watching films dubbed. Its a matter of choice really. They feel they can understand and enjoy the film more if they don't have to read subtitles all the time. As far as I know, the Germans also watch dubbed movies rather than V.O.

As for France being the worst place in Europe for speaking English - surely the same can be said for British speaking French :) (or english for that matter ;) )

Did lead to an amusing situation when my French partner watched her first Scwarzenegger film in English - she was suprised at his accent :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Snowman-185063 - 15 years ago

They should show the film/programme in the VO it was filmed and then add the subtitles. This does happen on some films they show on the television here in France, so why not in the cinema???

Sorry no image available
Posted by Snowman-185063 - 15 years ago

Did anyone else see the report that said that France was one of the Worst countries in Europe to speak English. I believe that one of the problems is the films, children grow up with a french version of the actors voice, instead of the original.

When will france be like other european countries that show a film or program in the original langauge it was filmed in.