DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Free to View channels - lost reception

Posted by Duke-183507 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by calcalino - 14 years ago

shall we start a whole new discussion about the bill? great story lines at the moment...and what about frost - do you like that?

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Calcalino

How can it jump from Sky to French TV? (Actually I don't want to know, it's just a rhetorical question!). 

I'm glad to know there's another fan of the Bill out there - I thought I was all on my own in my addiction to the comings and goings (if you'll forgive the phrase, but it's not inappropriate) at Sun Hill.

Sorry no image available
Posted by calcalino - 14 years ago

help.......

tonight i lost sky completely....it jumped to boring french tv...put it back to sky ....then after a few minutes did it again...this went on for a few more times until finally it's gone altogether (just before the end of the bill!!) what shall i do?

thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by Duke-183507 - 14 years ago

Thanks all for your advice .......

I have had my dish realigned - and now everything is back including ITV2

Sorry no image available
Posted by bobw-193145 - 14 years ago

It is clear that the BBC does have weaker signal on BBC1 in some regions, but it depends on which region you have pre selected. 

The solution is to tune to BBC1 London (or Wales, Scotland or NI) These are at 944 (942, 941 or 943)  These all offer perfect reception when my "local" region freezes.

Can't help with ITV2...that seems to be lost forever ! So no Corrie repeats.

bobw

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

As a rocket scientist, I know that the satellites have to rotate a bit in the evening to keep the solar panels aligned with the sun, and that causes the transmission footprint to wobble.

The CDA is on the edge of the 50cm footprint, so if the dish is not aligned properly it may work during the day when the guy sets it up but lose the signal when it gets dark.

Anyone want to know what happens at the equinoxes?

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by Charlotte-C-184762 - 14 years ago

I was in the same position just after Christmas (lost ITV and BBC1).  As I didn't fancy climbing on the roof myself I used this guy (can't remember the chaps name, but he was significantly cheaper than the other local sky people I called):

Apparently it was just my dish that was not aligned as well as could be.

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 14 years ago

I should mention that there may be a spark when you disconnect the sat. lead as it is carrying a low voltage. Shouldn't harm you though.

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 14 years ago

It does seem strange so many people having the same problem. All I can say, as reference, is that my system is working fine at the moment.

As I was in the UK for a little while recently I have no idea if there were any gales or bad weather recently down here which could have done it.

I would recommend you check the connections to the LNB though - as the last system I looked at had badly corroded cable - the installer had not put any form of self amalgamating tape - or any other form of water proofing on the connection. (this was for a friend of a friend - I'm not an installer but there are plenty down here listed on Angloinfo)

What time in the evenings do you lose the signal?

Shanwick - you lost ITV but BBC is fine - thats strange - maybe 22khz switching problem. try the faq at http://tinyurl.com/tez5 for more information  (from the news group uk.tech.tv.sky )

quote from the faq

quote:You can also test the problem by doing this:
Try switching to ITV, unplug the LNB and plug it straight back in. If
the picture appears but doesn't return when you switch
away and back again then you have the problem.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Shanwick - 14 years ago

Since about a week ago I've lost ITV completely but BBC channels are ok during the day.