DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

French cinema is great

Posted by tarquin-188748 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

I've always loved French cinema. When I lived in London, it was great to be able to watch French films with English subtitles either at a screen near Leicester Square, or even on the TV.

While my French these days is a little better I still need those subtitles.

I can cope with the subtitles being in French. Some films, but not all, are shown on French TV with subtitles for the hard of hearing. But it is a great help and it should be more widely available.

With the DVD technology, I see that some films come with subtitles in English and some only in French, but there are many that don't even cater for the hard of hearing.

A very enjoyable film that's out on DVD at the moment is L'Auberge Espagnol but, for me, the enjoyment is assisted by the French subtitles. English subtitles are not available, which is a shame as the film could have a wider audience in France otherwise.

But some other films, that make for good viewing are Les Rivières Pourpres and Décalage Horaires (two Jean Reno films) do not offer subtitles in French. And this is only a small sample.

If I were hard of hearing in France, should I consider it discrimination? Or just an oversight? Is there any way I can bring this issue to the attention of the people who can change things? With Enlgish films, subtitles for the hard of hearing are always available.

But I am still going to persevere because French cinema has always been consistently good. And one day my French will get better.

Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by tarquin-188748 - 14 years ago

Thanks for the Pere Noël tip. It sounds like it could be good after looking at the reviews. And with English subtitles too. Diner des Cons is great viewing.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Crystal Balls-184435 - 14 years ago

By far the best French films I have seen are "Diner des Cons" and " Pere Noël est une ordure".

"Sous le sable" is nonsense.

CB

Sorry no image available
Posted by 9000 - 14 years ago

There's a Charlotte Rampling movie called "Sous le Sable" that's got English subtitles on the DVD. Its a very slow movie but it is quite subtle in a unique French style. It's good for a rainy afternoon.

But it is true that it is not easy to find many French movies with English subtitles these days.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tarquin-188748 - 14 years ago

A few French films have lately been successful abroad. L'Auberge Espagnole and Amelie Paulain were both in the US top 10 when released in the States. So I know that international versions are available. But what about those which don't have the international promotion? They are just as good. 'Sur mes levres' was great but I don't think that went to the States.

My point is why look for the product abroad when it should be available in the country in which it was made. A country which we all know and love.

Adding subtitles can't be too much of a task.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

If you want the full gamut of subtitles then it can be a good idea to import the French movies in their "international" versions. For example:

The Crimson Rivers

Mike