DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

has anyone else lost Sky channels?

Posted by RandalHemingway - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by nessa-180460 - 14 years ago

Don't phone from France because they definitely use caller ID - they knew I was calling from abroad and told me they couldn't send me the card....and switched off channel 4,5 & ITV! nice

Sorry no image available
Posted by RandalHemingway - 14 years ago

thanks for everyones help. I seem to have BBC3 and 4 now so it would appear just to be down to my impatience. Shame about TCM - but dont like it enough to pay loads for it!!

Cheers

Randal

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 14 years ago

doesn't really sound like a faulty LNB more likely a card problem.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rave-190379 - 14 years ago

TCM has gone encrypted so you wont get that without a SKY subscription. Sounds to me (from experience) that you may have a faulty LNB.

Cheers

Rave

Sorry no image available

oops my web link got mixed with the cost - correct link for free2view web site:-

www.free2view.tv

Sorry no image available

Are you a subcriber to sky?

If not check your card to make sure you have a series 2 card (dark blue with yellow house on it). If you don't have a series 2 card you need to get one from www.free2view.tv(£23.50 I think). This service is due to run out by the end of Jan. You need a UK address to get the card. If you already have a card you should be able to use the website to order a new one. If you have no card then you have to phone the number on the website. (I don't know if they use caller ID or if they care about people phoning frm abroad. If poss. use a UK mobile or get a relative in the UK to phone for you)

TCM movie channel is now encrypted and only available to SKY subscribers so you need a subscription to get it.

If you have a new (series 2 card) and the box has been turned off for a few months it could have just become deactivated due to lack of authorisation signal. Leave box on for 24hours and it should pick up a signal.

more info can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/tez5 

A bigger dish probably won't help (the figures usually suggest you need an 80cm dish or larger but I have heard of people getting signal on 60cm dishes. All depends on alignment etc.)

Sorry no image available
Posted by irishman-180738 - 14 years ago

It sounds to me like one of two things:

Your dish has become badly alignedThe 22kHz signal to switch between vertical and horizontal polarization is not getting to the LNB on your dish. To check this press "Services" then "4" then "0" then "1" then "select". In this menu check that the 22kHz signal is enabled/on.